Former children’s home investigated over 50 allegations of physical and sexual abuse stretching back 30 years

Published July 15, 2013 by JS2

  • Nottingham police investigating 50 allegations at Beechwood Home
  • Four other homes also being investigated by officers
  • Some alleged to have been involved in ‘historic abuse’ have now died

A former council-run children’s home is being investigated over more than 50 allegations of physical or sexual abuse – some dating back 30 years. 

Nottinghamshire Police said they are investigating claims that people were abused at the Beechwood Children’s Home in Mapperley, Nottinghamshire. 

Four other homes are also being investigated by officers.

It is not the first time the establishment, which closed in 2006, has hit the headlines. In 2011 six alleged victims came forward saying they had suffered abuse at Beechwood.


article-2363192-1ACF2A01000005DC-252_634x419

Beechwood Children’s Home in Mapperley, Nottingham. Police are investigating claims that people were abused at the council-run establishment

A spokesman for Nottinghamshire Police said allegations relating to three other homes in the county were also being investigated.

They are Bracken House in Bulwell, Ranskill Gardens in Bestwood, and Wood Nook in Beechdale.
Officers are also looking at claims relating to Risley Hall in Derbyshire.

James Cleverley, 52, said he was passed around four of the five homes implicated in the probe – and assaulted at each one.

He has waived his right to anonymity to encourage others to come forward. 

He said: ‘In my first week there I was raped. I was made to do sex acts with a male member of staff.

‘I was entertainment for the people who abused me. I think what my life would have been like if I hadn’t been through that.

‘I want people to know that’s what happened in these sorts of places. I want these people to be caught and sent away.

‘I can’t get my life back – they ruined it.’

Solicitors pursuing claims on behalf of former residents said the 56 current complainants were just the ‘tip of the iceberg’.

Chris Ratcliffe, of Uppal Taylor Solicitors, Nottingham, said the firm had been inundated with allegations since the abuse inquiry was made public two years ago.

He said: ‘We literally had people ringing us up saying ‘I’d forgotten about this place’.
‘They had not thought about it for 40 years and all the memories had come flooding back.’

Detective Inspector Yvonne Dales said: ‘This is a thorough but complicated and sensitive investigation and the allegations are historic which in some cases relate to events which are said to have taken place nearly 30 years ago.

‘We have experienced officers on the investigation team who are working hard on this case which presents many challenges, such as the difficulties around obtaining forensic and corroborative evidence, along with the fact that some of the alleged perpetrators have since died.’

 

Mail online

 

Advertisements

0 comments on “Former children’s home investigated over 50 allegations of physical and sexual abuse stretching back 30 years

  • Leave a Reply

    Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

    WordPress.com Logo

    You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

    Twitter picture

    You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

    Facebook photo

    You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

    Google+ photo

    You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

    Connecting to %s

    %d bloggers like this: