Third man arrested in investigation into North Wales child sex abuse scandal

Published July 18, 2013 by JS2

Bryn-Estyn-4280080

 

A 72-year-old man from Wrexham is being questioned on suspicion of physical assaults against eight youngsters after being arrested by Operation Pallial detectives

A third man has been arrested by detectives investigating allegations of a historic paedophile ring in North Wales.

Detectives from Operation Pallial, launched last November, are looking into 140 allegations relating to 18 care homes between 1963 and 1992.

A 72-year-old man from Wrexham is being questioned on suspicion of physical assaults against eight youngsters, said the Serious Organised Crime Agency (Soca).

The assaults, on five boys and three girls, are alleged to have taken place between 1974 and 1986 when they were aged between 10 and 15.

A Soca spokeswoman said: “The 72-year-old man will be taken to a police station in North Wales where he will be interviewed.”

Operation Pallial is led by Keith Bristow, director general of the National Crime Agency (NCA), and is looking into recent allegations of historical abuse in the care system in North Wales.

A man from Ipswich was held on April 23 accused of “a number of serious sexual offences against a number of individuals”, and was bailed until the end of July.

A 62-year-old man from Leicester was detained on June 26 and was bailed until the end of September.

A report published in April, which outlined phase one of the inquiry, revealed that the alleged victims in the case were aged between seven and 19.

The report said 84 people – 75 male and nine female – had been named by complainants. Of these, 16 were named by more than one alleged victim and 10 might now be dead.

The NCA was selected at the request of North Wales Police to ensure the inquiry’s independence.

It was set up to re-examine claims of sex crimes and look again at the original police investigations into abuse at care homes in North Wales.

In 2000 the Waterhouse Inquiry was established to study claims linked to homes in the former council areas of Gwynedd and Clwyd since 1974.

Following Waterhouse, eight people were prosecuted and seven were convicted.

 

Wales Online

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: