John Allen, 71, has been charged with 32 serious sexual offences against 15 children aged seven to 15 between 1968 and 1989.
A 71-year-old man has become the first to be charged in connection with the North Wales sex child abuse scandal.
John Allen, of Ipswich, in Suffolk, has been charged with 32 serious sexual offences alleged to have taken place between 1968 and 1989 against 15 children, who were aged between seven and 15 at the time.
Allen has been charged with 22 indecent assaults, one offence of gross indecency and nine offences of buggery.
The North Wales child abuse scandal involved the physical and sexual abuse of young, vulnerable boys in care homes on a vast scale.
A fresh police investigation was launched in November last year and is looking at 140 allegations of sexual abuse at 18 children’s homes in the counties of Clwyd and Gwynedd between 1963 and 1992.
The charges against Allen are the first since the investigation began.
North Wales Police have described the inquiry as its “largest investigation into child abuse” and said it resulted in 3,755 witness statements being taken with at least 24 victims identified.
Karen Mullin, Senior Crown Prosecutor for CPS Cymru-Wales, said: “The Crown Prosecution Service is working alongside Operation Pallial as this major investigation into historical sexual abuse in North Wales moves forward.
“I can confirm that, having carefully considered the evidence gathered so far, we have concluded that there is sufficient evidence to charge John Allen with a total of 32 serious sexual offences, and that it is in the public interest to do so.
“We have therefore authorised Operation Pallial to charge Mr Allen with these offences.”
A report into the scale of the abuse in the North Wales care system by retired High Court Judge Sir Ronald Waterhouse was published in 2000.
He said there had been “widespread abuse of boys” and the report named 200 people for abusing or failing to offer protection to the youngsters.
However, there have been criticisms that the scale of the review was too narrow and David Cameron has appointed Mrs Justice Macur to review the terms of the Waterhouse inquiry.
In April a report into the case, which was compiled in 1996 but not then released in public because of fears it might spark compensation claims, was finally published.
It said that council employees and even serving police officers from the time could have been named as potential perpetrators of assaults.
The said: “It is clear that, in a significant number of cases, the lives of young people who have been through the care system in Clwyd have been severely disrupted and disturbed. At least 12 young people are dead.
“Of the many statements taken, it is unclear how many were forwarded to the Crown Prosecution Service for consideration. It is also unclear how many other professionals, including police officers, were named in these statements as perpetrators of assaults.”
Allen has been remanded in custody in North Wales and is due to appear before magistrates in Mold on Thursday.
A total of four people, including Allen, have been arrested to date. Three others remain on police bail while investigations continue.