A Dundee man who had more than 77,000 indecent images and videos was yesterday (Tuesday) placed on the sex offenders register for three years.
Richard Caffrey, 52, had admitted that, on October 23 at Ambleside Terrace, he had in his possession indecent photographs or pseudo photographs of children.
He had also admitted that, between July 14 and October 23, at the same place he took or permitted to be taken or made indecent photographs or pseudo photographs of children.
The court heard police attended after receiving intelligence that indecent images of children had been accessed.
Fiscal depute Laura Bruce said: “Experts found 77,861 indecent images and videos on the computer — 35,025 were still in place and readily accessible and 42,836 had been deleted but police managed to recover them. The total number of images and videos covered the range of levels from 1-5.”
Caffrey’s solicitor, Kevin Hampton, said: “It had a devastating effect on his own life. He’s lost his job, he’s lost his house and he’s lost his marriage all through these offences.”
Imposing a community payback order Sheriff Way said: “There was no sharing or distribution, this was for personal use only. I am satisfied that in the circumstances of this case a custodial sentence is not necessary.”
Caffrey was placed on a community payback order with supervision for three years, as well as a programme requirement — the Tay Project.
He was also ordered to carry out 200 hours of unpaid work within one year. Caffrey was also given a number of conduct requirements including no means of access to the internet without permission and no unauthorised unsupervised access to any child under the age of 17 outside “casual encounters in daily life”.