Man jailed for 14-year ‘campaign of abuse’ against vulnerable children

Published August 7, 2013 by JS2

zz070813david-broom-1-5675437

David Broom, from Dowlais, was unanimously convicted of 25 counts of sexual assault, including eight counts of rape

A man has been jailed for 16 years after being found guilty of a campaign of sex assaults against three different victims.

David Broom, 64, of Cross Blanche Street, Dowlais, Merthyr Tydfil denied 25 counts consisting of 16 for indecent assault, eight for rape and one of attempted indecent assault over a 14-year period.

They took place between March 19, 1974 and August 30, 1988 against three girls, who cannot be named for legal reasons and came to light at the end of next year.

But he was found unanimously guilty in a matter of hours of each count, many of which were sample counts representing a course of conduct over a period of time.

The jury had heard that Broom targeted two of the girls and that the third victim had been indecently assaulted just once by mistake.

The Recorder of Cardiff Judge Eleri Rees told him: “This was a campaign of abuse against two vulnerable children.

“You robbed them of their innocence and childhood.

“You left indelible memories that have haunted them into adulthood. The abuse ruined their lives.

“There has been a delay. Much was due to the fear and shame felt by the complainants instilled in them by you.”

Elizabeth Pearson, prosecuting at Merthyr Tydfil Crown Court, said one of the victims had suffered difficulties and had sought medical and psychiatric help as a result of the abuse.

“She described how the abuse has totally destroyed her life.”

Ms Pearson said: “He [Broom] was a controlling and aggressive man who used threats to ensure their silence.”

She told the court he started to abuse one of his victims when she was just five years old.

She said Broom would take her out in the car to a remote location, but while there would indecently assault her.

“She never told anybody what happened to her as a child. She bottled it up,” said Ms Pearson.

Ms Pearson told the court Broom had also tried to abuse the girl, now married and a mother, not long after she had given birth.

The jury of four men and eight women was told that Broom had managed to keep her quiet about the abuse by threatening her.

“He would blackmail her that she would lose her child because he would go to social services and say that she was an unfit mother,” said Ms Pearson.

Giving evidence, one of the victims broke down in tears as she recounted how scared she was at the time, telling the jury she had known Broom to be nasty and violent.

The court heard some of the abuse of the two victims overlapped, with the second victim enduring more rapes.

Dyfed Thomas, defending, said Broom was not in good health and added that the abuse had ended some 20 years ago.

Broom will have to sign as a sex offender for life and will be released after serving two-thirds of the sentence, unless considered for release after serving half.

Advertisements

0 comments on “Man jailed for 14-year ‘campaign of abuse’ against vulnerable children

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: