BARROW theatre impresario David Marcus has been arrested on suspicion of indecent assault involving a child.
The 65-year-old has been quizzed by detectives and is now on bail until June in relation to the alleged historic offence.
When contacted by the Evening Mail and asked about the claim the artistic director and chairman of the Walney Musical Theatre Company said he had no comment to make.
When asked again if he wanted to say anything about the allegation he replied: “I have nothing to say at this time.”
The former Walney South Conservative councillor, from Biggar Village, Walney, has directed and starred in countless school concerts, plays and pantos as well as teaching drama and speech therapy.
His career locally began in 1972 when he organised a concert to raise money for disabled children.
Over the years he has worked across the county in various productions.
The professional director was axed from Forum 28 for being “too old-fashioned” in 2007. Barrow Borough Council said it wanted a more commercial production and dumped his stage company, Pumpkin Productions.
When asked if Mr Marcus had been arrested in relation to a child sex assault a Cumbria police spokesman said: “A 65- year-old man from Barrow was arrested on suspicion of indecent assault involving a child. He has been bailed until June 1, 2015.”
They confirmed it was a historic offence. A reliable source said Mr Marcus is shocked by the allegation and strenuously denies any wrongdoing.
North West Evening Mail