Police launch major investigation into claims of sexual abuse at Nottinghamshire care homes dating back 75 years

Published April 8, 2015 by JS2
  • Operation Xeres will focus on abuse claims at Skegby Hall children’s home
  • Inquiry will have a team of 20 looking into the historical abuse claims 
  • More than 20 claims have been made relating to abuse in care homes

Screen Shot 2015-04-08 at 15.07.10

Skegby Hall in Mansfield, which was a former children’s care home. Police have launched an investigation looking into claims of sexual abuse at the home

Police have launched a major investigation into claims of sexual abuse at care homes in Nottinghamshire dating back more than 70 years.

Operation Xeres will focus on allegations relating to abuse at Skegby Hall children’s home near Mansfield.

The inquiry will also look into nine other centres in Nottinghamshire where children were said to have been physically or sexually abused.

The 10 centres, all of which have either closed or changed their use since the time of the alleged abuse, also includes Whatton Youth Detention Centre.

Also being investigated are three former residential centres in Mansfield and five others in Worksop, Southwell and Stapleford.

The inquiry will have a team of 20 people looking into the abuse claims and will also include two social workers.

Three of the 23 allegations relate to a former youth detention centre, where teenage inmates were detained with the oldest claim dating back to the 1940s.

Police will look at whether the abuse was systematic or organised.

However, they say they are aware many of the records relating to the homes may no longer exist and that some of the alleged perpetrators may have died.

The investigation comes after calls for an inquiry by people who claimed they were sexually abused at Skegby Hall.

The investigation called Operation Xeres has been launched by Nottinghamshire Police, pictured. The inquiry will have a team of 20 people looking into the abuse claims and will also include two social workers

A separate inquiry called Operation Daybreak is already looking at child abuse at homes in Nottingham in the 1960s and 70s.

It comes after 189 former residents of 18 children’s homes in Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire say they were abused between the 1950s and 1980s.

So far 11 people have been arrested in connection with the inquiry.

Among the victims to speak to Nottinghamshire Police in connection with alleged abuse is Golden Globe and Bafta winner, Samantha Morton.

The actress who spent most of her childhood living in institutions in Nottingham, spoke out last year saying she was abused by two male residential home workers at the Red Tile Children’s Home when she was just 13.

The double-Oscar nominee said she decided to waive her right to anonymity in the wake of a report detailing sexual exploitation of 1,400 children over a period of 16 years in Rotherham, South Yorkshire.

Jennifer Newton

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: