abuse

All posts tagged abuse

Jersey Care Inquiry hears girls ‘sedated and raped’

Published October 6, 2014 by JS2

_77968149_jeanneil

Jean Neil said writing her book gave her the courage to speak out about the abuse

A former resident of a girls’ home has told the Independent Jersey Care Inquiry girls were repeatedly sedated and raped there in the 1940s and 50s.

Jean Neil, 79, has written about her experiences in the care system in her book “Chair Bound to Heaven Bound.”

Quizzed by counsel for the inquiry Patrick Sadd, she spoke of her time at the Grouville Girls Home, later the Jersey Home for Girls.

Mrs Neil, now of Rugby, Warwickshire, said punishments were severe.

She said from about the age of eight she would be carried downstairs and injected by members of staff. She said this also happened to other girls.

‘You couldn’t struggle’

“They would say ‘we need to give you an injection’ when they took us from our bed and we would say ‘what is it for?’ and would be told to mind our own business.”

The injection would leave them dazed but not completely knocked out, she said.

Mrs Neil said: “You were in a state where you had no ability to struggle. There was one occasion – and I don’t know if the injection hadn’t worked properly – I distinctly remember people having sex with me after I had been injected.

“I do not know who it was but I know I was raped and there were other people there.”

She said after this all happened they would be told “whatever we thought had happened or whatever we remember happening had not happened.”

Mrs Neil said the rapes started when she was about eight and happened every couple of months until she was about 11 or 12 and that senior members of staff would be present.

She talked about a number of punishments for a range of offences, including swearing, stealing apples or playing with boys from school.

  • Wetting the bed would lead to girls being beaten with stinging nettles and rubbed with the wet sheets.
  • They would also be made to go to sleep naked with stinging nettles under them.
  • Girls would be submerged in an ice bath fully-clothed and only released when they gasped for breath.
  • There would be weekly public beatings in the yard for the worst-behaved girls.

Mrs Neil said when they first arrived at the home, aged six, the girls were told their tongues would be cut out if they told anyone of anything that happened to them.

The inquiry, which is investigating allegations of historical abuse in the island’s care system from 1945 to the present day, continues.

BBC

Probe into new claims of sexual abuse by monks

Published August 7, 2013 by JS2

download (2)

 

Further allegations have been made of sexual and physical abuse by monks at a former boarding school.

Five pupils of the Catholic Fort Augustus Abbey school recently told a BBC Scotland investigation that they were molested and beaten by monks.

Detective Chief Inspector Pamela Ross said: “Further individuals were identified as part of the investigation and a further number of former pupils have come forward to speak to us.

“We understand it must be very difficult to speak about such matters but if anyone has any information about this case, they are encouraged to come forward.”

 

evening times

EXCLUSIVE: Retired North Devon policeman accused of historic child sex offences

Published May 23, 2013 by JS2

A FORMER North Devon policeman who was awarded the British Empire Medal has appeared in court accused of historic sex offences against boys.

Danny Bryant, a senior figure in the surf Life-saving world, appeared at a remand hearing at Taunton Deane Magistrates’ Court on Thursday.

 
  1. DannyBryant

    Former North Devon policeman Danny Bryant, who is a senior figure in the surf life-saving world, is accused of historic sex offences against boys

 

Bryant, 64, who served with Devon and Cornwall police for more than 20 years, faces nine charges of indecent assault on two children three decades ago.

Eight of the charges relate to one boy aged under 16. They are alleged to have happened in the 1980s.

A ninth charge of indecent assault relates to another boy. He was also aged under 16 at the time, also in the 1980s.

It’s understood the two alleged victims are not known to each other.

Bryant, of Moreton Avenue, Bideford, was arrested on April 18.

The allegations against him had been reported to Devon and Cornwall Police by Surf Life-saving GB in October last year after they were contacted by an alleged victim.

He answered his bail on Wednesday, May 15, and was remanded in custody.

The next day he appeared before magistrates who decided his case should be heard at Taunton Crown Court on June 3.

He did not enter a plea to the charges and was granted conditional bail.

Bryant, who was awarded the British Empire Medal in 1985 for his services to youth, served across the North Devon area for the whole of his career as a police constable.

Because of Bryant’s involvement with Devon and Cornwall Police, a decision was taken that court hearings would happen outside the force area.

Bryant, whose family has been made aware of the charges, was a founder member of the Devon and Cornwall Police Surf Life-saving Club, which operated until the early 1990s.

He was also a national volunteer with Surf Life-saving GB.

He is also listed as the chairman of the rescue commission of the International Life Saving Federation of Europe.

Pete Lawrence, chairman of Surf Life Saving GB, said: “We are shocked to hear of the historic allegations against Danny Bryant, a retired police officer and founder member of the Devon and Cornwall Police Life Saving Club.

“We understand these historic allegations have no relation to any role Danny Bryant took as a national volunteer with Surf Life-saving GB and we would like to take this opportunity to assure our 6,000 members that our safeguarding procedures are of the highest standard.”

The organisation said Bryant had relinquished all volunteer responsibilities with immediate effect.

It said it had participated fully in the police investigation.

In October 1985 PC Daniel Bryant was pictured in the North Devon Journal receiving the British Empire Medal from the Lord Lieutenant of Devon, the Earl of Morley, at a ceremony in Exeter.

Bryant was then based at the juvenile bureau in Barnstaple and the Journal report said he had earned a high reputation among social workers, employers and teachers: “On many occasions he has personally sought out accommodation and employment for young people.

“Many authorities refer them to him for counselling and such is his reputation that many ask to see him to discuss problems.

“They know they can get in touch with him at any time of the day or night and this has been particularly helpful in drug abuse cases.”

In 1991 Bryant was one of two North Devon police constables to take part in a 128-mile Nijmegen March endurance walk in Holland, raising money for the RNLI.

But two years later he was suspended while an internal investigation was carried out into a verbal complaint made by a man.

Details of the complaint were never made public and no written statement was ever made.

Bryant was suspended in October 1993 but no disciplinary action was taken against him. In March the following year the 44-year-old took early retirement on the grounds of ill-health.

At his Bideford home yesterday Mr Bryant declined to comment on the allegations.

Police say that anyone with information about the alleged offences should call 101 and quote crime reference number CN/13/126.

 

this is devon

Savile scandal prompts more historic rape victims to speak out

Published April 5, 2013 by JS2
Savile scandal prompts more historic rape victims to speak out

Hundreds more rape victims encouraged by arrests in the Jimmy Savile case are coming forward to report past sex attacks.

So far this year Sussex Police has received more reports of historic sex crimes than assaults which had been committed within a month.

One rape charity said calls to their historic abuse helpline had soared by 42% compared to last year.

Both police and health workers said more victims were feeling confident that their experiences would be believed.

In December, Sussex Police received 119 reports of sexual offences of all kinds, of which 43 had taken place more than a month before the complaint.

But in January – when the full report into Jimmy Savile’s past was released – the number of historic sex assaults almost doubled to 80, more than half the total number of reports received.

By February the percentage of historic complaints received had risen again to 61%.

A Sussex Police spokesman said: “The recent trend in Sussex is that more than half of such reports are made 28 days or more after the offence took place.

“We believe, although it is hard to be certain, that this is due at least in part to the increased public awareness of this issue, caused by the Savile case and similar cases nationwide.”

Survivors’ Network, a Brighton-based charity offering confidential support to victims of sex abuse, said rising numbers of people were choosing not to “suffer in silence” any more.

Their historic abuse helpline experienced a 42% increase in the number of calls during January 2013 compared to the same period last year.

A spokeswoman for the charity said: “Survivors Network has also experienced an increase in the numbers of people seeking support around their historic sexual abuse. “We support women whether they decide to report it to the police or not and offer a variety of services to suit individual needs.

“It is reassuring to know that more people are starting to feel that they will be believed, which is another step closer to removing the shame and secrecy that surrounds sexual abuse.”

If you have been a victim of abuse, call Sussex Police on 101 or the Survivors Network confidential helpline on 01273 720110.

 

by Bill Gardner

Flasher who targeted young girls in Ellesmere Port jailed

Published March 20, 2013 by JS2

A MAN has been jailed for exposing himself to two girls in Ellesmere Port.

Andrew Bradshaw, 44, of Hoole Way, Chester, was sentenced to 10 months at  Chester Crown Court .

He pleaded guilty to two counts  of intentionally exposing his genitals  during separate incidents in   Ellesmere Port on August 28 last year.

During the first incident, at 4.45pm, two 13-year-old girls were playing near their home when they noticed a small, light-coloured Ford Fiesta van parked close to where they were sitting, with both the driver and passenger windows down.

Both girls felt uncomfortable and decided to leave the location – but both saw inside the vehicle as they walked past and saw Bradshaw performing a sex act.

A second incident happened just short of an hour later, at 5.40pm, when two  girls, aged nine and 11, were playing in their garden and saw a small, light-coloured van parked  four to five feet away.

The van drove off when the mother of one of the girls turned up in a car, but returned to the same spot a short time later.

The girls could see into the vehicle and again spotted the defendant performing a sex act.

A police investigation identified Bradshaw as a suspect and a search warrant was executed at his home address. He was later picked out by two of the witnesses.

Rachel Shenton, defending, said Bradshaw should be given credit for his guilty plea.

Judge Elgan Edwards, Recorder of Chester, who imposed a five-month sentence for each offence, said: “You obviously have a problem and it’s a problem you are going to have to cope with. You cannot behave in this way. It’s not acceptable.”

Judge Edwards made a sexual offences prevention order and disqualified Bradshaw, who has a 15-year-old daughter,  from working with children.

He is already on the Sex Offenders Register for life.

In 2004, Bradshaw was jailed for seven years for indecently assaulting females in Chester and Wirral. His last conviction was on June 8, 2012, for possession of extreme pornography involving bestiality.

 

by Ellesmere Port Pioneer

Serial sex offender walks free from court after showing porn to children

Published March 20, 2013 by JS2

A serial sex offender has walked free from court after showing pornographic images to children. 

 

A judge told Alun Richard Jones he presented a significant risk of serious harm to members of the public but added that this risk would be best managed with a community order.

Jones has five court appearances for 10 offences over several years, including four counts of engaging in sexual activity in the presence of children, exposing himself, and breaching orders imposed for those and other offences.

He is subject of a lifelong Sexual Offences Prevention Order (Sopo) and on the sex offenders’ register indefinitely,

Rachel Knight, prosecuting at Merthyr Tydfil Crown Court, said that on the afternoon of Sunday, December 9 – days after being released from remand for pulling out pornographic magazines in a playground before running away when approached by an adult – Jones again showed pornographic magazines or books to two children playing in the street.

One of the children had been the victim of the earlier identical offence.

“They described him as hanging around and that he had walked up and down the street four or five times,” said Ms Knight.

Police were called when the two youngsters told their parents what had happened. Ms Knight said Jones denied any wrongdoing before he was arrested.

His home was then searched and “barely legal” porn was recovered.

Jones, 27, of Dunraven Court, Dunraven Street, Tonypandy, Rhondda, admitted breaching a Sopo – which carries a five-year maximum jail term -by approaching a child under the age of 16.

He was told by Judge Richard Twomlow that although he presented a significant risk of serious harm to members of the public a community order was the best way to protect the public.

Judge Twomlow jailed Jones for eight months, suspended for two years, with two years supervision, and ordered him to carry out 100 hours of unpaid work.

He was also made the subject of a four-month electronically tagged curfew from 9pm to 7am and the Sopo limiting his contact with children was amended.

When he appeared in court previously in December for the earlier offences, Jones, described as a “thrill-seeking exhibitionist”, was again spared jail after admitting breaching the Sopo by engaging and associating with a child.

On that occasion he was told by Recorder Malcolm Bishop QC that he had been persuaded to impose a community order to allow him to have treatment for the protection of the public.

by Wales online

Sexual predators who assaulted 14-year-old girl for FIVE DAYS are jailed for 15 years

Published March 2, 2013 by JS2

  • Raja Khan, 23, punched and raped victim while Adeeb Sultan, 27, abused her
  • Sultan also passed her to another man who sexually assaulted her
  • Police officer described the abuse as ‘truly   despicable’ImageAdeeb Sultan, 27, sexually abused her


Image
 Raja Khan, 23  raped the victim

Two men have been jailed for a total of 15 years after plying a 14-year-old girl with alcohol and drugs in return for sex.

Raja Khan, 23, raped the victim while Adeeb Sultan, 27, abused her and passed her to another man who sexually assaulted her during a five day ordeal in Birmingham.

On one occasion the men tried to force the girl to perform a sex act on a taxi driver in a bid to get a lower fare.

Last month Khan was found guilty of rape and actual bodily harm while Sultan was convicted of two counts of sexual activity with a child and causing or inciting sexual activity with a child.

Today Khan, of Sparkbrook, Birmingham, was jailed for 10 years while Sultan, of Alum Rock, Birmingham, was jailed for five years.

During the seven-day trial at Birmingham Crown Court, the jury heard Sultan targeted the teenager after he saw her walking down the street with a friend in July 2011.

Speaking after the case, Detective Constable Amy Bates, from West Midlands Police Public Protection Department, said: ‘Sultan offered the girls, who were missing from home, the chance to hang out with him and his friends.

‘The pair went with him and began drinking vodka on the nearby canal towpath. Some time later, she was twice raped by a man on the Dudderston Mill Road canal with Sultan facilitating the attack.’

Over the course of five days, Sultan, who called himself ‘Dibbs’, plied the girl with alcohol and drugs. In return, she was raped by Khan, and abused by other unidentified men.

In one frenzied attack, in which she was punched in the face, Khan said that if she refused to have sex, her friend would be raped instead.

Despite suffering horrific injuries, the victim managed to run away. A passing motorist picked her up and took her to Stechford police station.

After being treated for her injuries, the girl identified Khan as her attacker. He was also captured on CCTV in the area at the time of the original attack on July 10, 2011.

When interviewed, he claimed to have been on the phone to his girlfriend, watching TV and playing on his PlayStation at the time of the offences.

But the jury dismissed his claims after Sultan’s DNA was found on his victim’s body.

DC Bates said after the case: ‘Sultan and Khan’s crimes are truly despicable. The pair deliberately targeted a vulnerable child and sought to exploit her for their own sexual gratification and criminal gain.

‘Their offences were truly sickening and have left an indelible mark on their victim. Despite her own personal trauma, the girl had the courage to report the matter to the police.

‘She put her fears to one side to provide a comprehensive statement, pick her attackers out in an identification parade and then go on to provide detailed evidence in court.

‘Her strength of character is to be commended – particularly for someone so young. I wish her well on her road to recovery.’

Sultan was ordered to sign the Sex Offenders’ Register for ten years and Khan was ordered to sign the register for life.

Both were also made the subject of a Sex Offenders Prevention Order for 10 years – preventing them from having contact with girls under the age of 16, and were disqualified from working with children.
by Sam Adams