Daniel Veness

All posts tagged Daniel Veness

Paedophile attacked sleeping girl, 5, when his treatment was delayed because staff were off sick

Published May 28, 2013 by misty534

article-2331697-1A05FCCA000005DC-314_306x423

  • Probation workers on sick leave when Daniel Veness was due to start 
  • Delay called ‘highly unsatisfactory’ by local MP Peter Aldous 
  • Police Commissioner said six month delay was ‘absolutely ridiculous’ 
  • Veness, from Lowestoft, Suffolk, jailed for two years eight months in April

A paedophile attacked a sleeping five year-old girl in the same month his sex offender treatment was delayed because staff were off sick, it emerged today.

Daniel Veness, 23, had been ordered to carry out the treatment after being convicted of possessing over 600 child abuse images on his computer.

However, two years into his three-year community order he had still not joined the programme.

It has now emerged that the urgent treatment was delayed for six months because staff were on sick leave.

In March 2012, when Veness was due to begin the Thames Valley Treatment Programme, he attacked a five-year-old girl as she slept and filmed the assault.

Veness, from Lowestoft, Suffolk, was arrested three months later when a friend found the vile images.

He was jailed for two years and eight months in April this year.

Norfolk and Suffolk Probation Service, which runs the programme, said today there was no specific requirement as to when the treatment should begin but the delay has been criticised by politicians and the local Police Commissioner.

Probation workers have revealed the treatment programme was delayed following a Freedom of Information request.

It also emerged that five other sex offenders were due to start the delayed programme.

Veness was originally ordered to start treatment after the first offence in March 2011 but a year later he had still not joined because he had been on holiday.

He was eventually given two start dates in March and October 2012, but each time the scheme was postponed before being scrapped because of ‘insufficient resources’.

Norfolk and Suffolk Probation Trust runs the programme for convicted sex offenders Norfolk and Suffolk Probation Trust runs the programme for convicted sex offenders

Norfolk and Suffolk Probation Service said the only legal requirement for treatment is that the defendant should complete the programme by the end of their sentence.

But Conservative MP for Waveney, Peter Aldous, said it was ‘highly unsatisfactory’.

He said: ‘I am very surprised and extremely disappointed that this information has come to light.

‘If an offence is serious enough for someone to go on a treatment programme that should be carried out as soon as practically possible after their sentencing.

‘I think in this instance a delay of six months before the course was reconstituted is not acceptable.’

Suffolk’s Police and Crime Commissioner Tim Passmore said: ‘I find this approach quite extraordinary.

‘As far as I am concerned as Police and Crime Commissioner one of the key roles is to look at the accountability and the public interest.

‘While this delay may be within the law I would have thought common sense should have prevailed here and the required course or treatment would have been done straightaway.

‘I don’t understand why the course should have been delayed for six months. I find the whole process absolutely ridiculous.’

Veness admitted to offences of sexual touching, taking indecent pictures of a child and downloading indecent images of children at Ipswich Crown Court in April.

He also pleaded guilty to breaching a Sexual Offences Prevention Order and failing to notify police of a change in his address under the terms of the Sex Offenders’ Register.

In addition to being jailed an extended licence period of three years was imposed on Veness because of the danger he represented to young girls.

He was also ordered to sign on the Sex Offenders’ Register and made the subject of an indefinite sexual offences prevention order.

A probation service investigation into the Veness case has now been forwarded on to the National Offender Management Service.

The Thames Valley Sex Offender Programme was designed to alter sex offenders’ behaviour by changing their attitudes towards victims and helping them take responsibility for their behaviour.

It is generally intended for male sexual offenders, aged over 21, who are sentenced to community orders.

Mail online

Convicted paedophile, 23, attacked a sleeping five-year-old girl after his sex offenders treatment was cancelled

Published April 19, 2013 by misty534

Image

 

  • Paedophile abused girl after his sex-offender treatment was scrapped
  • Programme cancelled because of ‘lack of resources’
  • Norfolk and Suffolk Probation Trust have launched an investigation 
  • Daniel Veness jailed for two years and eight months

 

A paedophile molested a sleeping five-year-old girl after his sex-offenders treatment was cancelled.

Daniel Veness, 23, was ordered to get urgent help after he was caught with 600 vile child pornography pictures on his computer.

But a lack of ‘resources’ meant that the scheme was scrapped. 

Veness, of Lowestoft, Suffolk, filmed himself carrying out the sickening sex attack on the little girl as she slept.

He was jailed for two years eight months yesterday.

Judge David Goodin branded the pervert a danger to young girls.

The judge said it was ‘a matter of great regret’ that two years in to a three-year order Veness’s treatment programme had not started.

Judge Goodin said this was initially because the offender had been on holiday.

But since then Veness had been given two start dates in March and October 2012 which had been called off because of ‘insufficient resources’.

The paedophile was arrested in January after a shocked friend told police he had seen pornographic images of naked girls on Veness’s mobile.

Officers found 46 indecent pictures of children on the phone as well as film footage Veness had taken of himself sexually assaulting the five-year-old as she was asleep.

Veness admitted sexual touching, two offences of taking indecent pictures of a child and downloading indecent images of children.

He also admitted breaching a Sexual Offences Prevention Order and failing to notify police of a change in his address under the terms of the sex offenders’ register.

As well as jailing him at Ipswich Crown Court, Judge Goodin also imposed an extended licence period of three years because of the danger he poses to young girls.

Veness was also ordered to sign the sex offenders’ register and made the subject of an indefinite sexual offences prevention order.

He had been given a caution for sexual activity with a girl under the age of 13 in November 2008, the court heard.

Last night the National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children said the case was ‘distressing’ and insisted that it was vital the treatment is carried out.

Judge Goodin said the Thames Valley Treatment Programme had been a crucial part of a three-year community order imposed at the court in March 2011 after the indecent photos were found on Veness’s computer.

‘This is a programme of high repute which is known to have some effect,’ he said.

Andrew Thompson, defending, said it was unfortunate that Veness had not received any help.

Mr Thompson said: ‘We will never know if it would have directed him away from the behaviour that has brought him back before the court.’

Stuart Macdonald, director of Norfolk and Suffolk Probation Trust, today said they had launched an investigation in to the case.

Mr Macdonald said: ‘Our thoughts are with the victim and family at this incredibly difficult time.

‘It would be wrong to comment further at this stage as the case is yet to be fully investigated.

‘All cases involving a serious further offence are reviewed robustly and rigorously by Norfolk and Suffolk Probation Trust and the National Offender Management Service.

‘Where deficiencies in the management of risk of serious harm are identified, action is taken to address these.’

Jon Brown, head of strategy and development for sexual abuse at the NSPCC, said: ‘This is a distressing case where an offender has been convicted twice and the level of abuse since his first conviction has clearly escalated.

‘In these cases it is vital that treatment should always be carried out to prevent further abuse.

‘We hope the victims have also been provided with support and treatment to help them through their traumatic experiences.’

If you are an adult and you have concerns about the safety of a child, you can call the NSPCC’s helpline on 0808 800 5000.

If you are a child and you are worried about your safety, you can call ChildLine on 0800 1111.

 

Mail online

Suffolk: Sex offender commits horrific attack on child – after his treatment was cancelled due to ‘lack of resources’

Published April 19, 2013 by misty534

Image

 

A PAEDOPHILE ordered to attend a sex offenders programme carried out a sickening attack on a five-year-old girl after his treatment was cancelled.

Daniel Veness was ordered to receive treatment after being caught with 600 vile child porn pictures on his computer – but because of a lack of funds the scheme was shelved.

Jailing the 23-year-old for two years and eight months for his latest crime Judge David Goodin branded him a danger to young girls.

He added that it was “a matter of great regret” that two years in to a three year order the treatment programme had not started.

He said this was initially because Veness had been on holiday but since then he had been given two start dates in March and October 2012 which had been cancelled because of “insufficient resources”.

Last night the National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children said the case was “distressing” adding that it was vital the treatment is carried out.

Sitting at Ipswich Crown Court yestreday Judge Goodin said the Thames Valley Treatment Programme had been an important part of a three year community order imposed at Ipswich Court in March 2011 after the indecent images were found on Veness’s computer.

“This is a programme of high repute which is known to have some effect,” he said.

Veness’s barrister Andrew Thompson said it was unfortunate that his client had not received any help from the programme. “We will never know if it would have directed him away from the behaviour that has brought him back before the court,” he said.

Stuart Macdonald, director of Norfolk and Suffolk Probation Trust, said an investigation had been launched in to the case.

“Our thoughts are with the victim and family at this incredibly difficult time. It would be wrong to comment further at this stage as the case is yet to be fully investigated.

All cases involving a serious further offence are reviewed robustly and rigorously by Norfolk and Suffolk Probation Trust and the National Offender Management Service. Where deficiencies in the management of risk of serious harm are identified, action is taken to address these.”

Veness was arrested in January this year after a friend told police he had seen indecent pictures of naked girls on Veness’s mobile phone.

When the phone was examined officers found 46 indecent images of children and film footage Veness had taken of himself sexually assaulting the five-year-old while she was asleep.

Veness, of St George’s Road, Lowestoft, admitted sexual touching, two offences of taking indecent pictures of a child, downloading indecent images of children, breaching a Sexual Offences Prevention Order and failing to notify police of a change in his address under the terms of the Sex Offenders’ Register.

In addition to jailing him for two years and eight months Judge Goodin imposed an extended licence period of three years because of the danger he represented to young girls. Veness was also ordered to sign on the Sex Offenders’ Register and made the subject of an indefinite sexual offences prevention order.

The court heard that in November 2008 Veness has been given a caution for sexual activity with a girl under the age of 13.

Jon Brown, Head of strategy and development for sexual abuse at the NSPCC said: “This is a distressing case where an offender has been convicted twice and the level of abuse since his first conviction has clearly escalated. In these cases it is vital that treatment should always be carried out to prevent further abuse.

“We hope the victims have also been provided with support and treatment to help them through their traumatic experiences.

“If you are an adult and you have concerns about the safety of a child, you can call the NSPCC’s helpline on 0808 800 5000. If you are a child and you are worried about your safety, you can call ChildLine on 0800 1111.”

 

by Jane Hunt