Don Hale

All posts tagged Don Hale

MP who exposed suspected Westminster paedophile ring feared he was on a “hit list”

Published November 15, 2014 by misty534

Geoffrey-Dickens

Tory Geoffrey Dickens was so afraid for his life that he hid copies of his damning files in a “safe place”

An MP feared he was on a ‘hit list’ after drawing up a dossier that threatened to expose a suspected Westminster paedophile ring, a close friend has claimed

Tory Geoffrey Dickens was so afraid he hid copies of his damning files – naming eight public figures suspected of child abuse – in a “safe place”.

The MP also told Geoff Hope he had a secret alliance with former Labour minister Barbara Castle, who had her own dossier naming 16 MPs and Lords.

Both politicians’ claims are at the heart of a public inquiry and police investigation into allegations of child sex abuse at Westminster in 70s and 80s.

The late Mr Dickens handed the then Home Secretary Leon Brittan his dossier in 1983. It has since gone missing.

Lord Brittan
 Former Home Secretary Lord Brittan

Mr Hope, 83, has decided to speak out after being disgusted by theWanless Report, a Home Office inquiry that has failed to locate the documents.

He said: “Geoffrey feared repercussions for his family and friends. He said he had names that would ‘blow the roof off Westminster’.”

Mr Hope ran a service station near Mr Dickens’ constituency home and was a family friend. He said the MP came in with his dossier in the 80s.

“He used to pop in on Saturdays for a chat,” said Mr Hope. “This time he had a document case. I jokingly asked if it was full of money but he said it was his research into paedophiles.

“He said MPs, people in the church, and in other high places were involved.

Geoffrey Dickens
Geoffrey Dickens

“He told me he was worried for his own welfare and would be worried for my safety if he showed me the contents.

“I said he could use my photocopier to make a copy to keep safe, but he said he’d already done it. I told him to go to Scotland Yard but he thought the Met and Special Branch had been infiltrated by them.”

Mr Hope said the MP for Littleborough and Saddleworth in Greater Manchester told him he believed he was on a “hit list”.

Mr Dickens, who died of cancer in 1995, campaigned for more than a decade to expose the alleged ring and its links to the Paedophile Information Exchange (PIE) which wanted a Bill to legalise sex with children.

By Don Hale

Government gave money to notorious Paedophile Information Exchange on the orders of Special Branch, claims Home Office whistleblower

Published November 12, 2014 by misty534
  • Former government employee says he saw evidence PIE was given grant
  • He claims the money was paid to group under orders of Special Branch
  • Insider says he thought funding was ‘inappropriate and outrageous’ but his pleas were shrugged off by his boss at the time 
  • Follows report which found that abuse ring ‘might have been covered up’

A Home Office whistleblower today repeated his claims the government department funded the notorious Paedophile Information Exchange (PIE) on the orders of the police.

Former civil servant Tim Hulbert said money was transferred to the organisation on the orders of the Metropolitan Police’s Special Branch.

Mr Hulbert worked in the Voluntary Services Unit of the Home Office which approved grants to various outside organisations in the late 1970s and early 80s.

He said he went to his manager after seeing that funding was being given to PIE – the lobby group formed in the 1970s to campaign for a reduction in the age of consent – but his concerns were shrugged off.

Former Home Office employee Tim Hulbert said the department provided funding to the Paedophile Information Exchange (PIE), on the orders of the Metropolitan Police's Special Branch

Former Home Office employee Tim Hulbert said the department provided funding to the Paedophile Information Exchange (PIE), on the orders of the Metropolitan Police’s Special Branch

The retired government worker told Radio 4’s Today programme: ‘Every quarter, the list of current grants that were up for consideration for financial support would be circulated through the office and I believe that I saw a copy of that which referred to the re-funding of PIE.

‘It was an organisation that was campaigning for the reduction of the age of consent to four. I thought that was inappropriate and outrageous and for a government department to be funding it, I thought was wrong.

‘I went to see my boss and he told me, firstly, that PIE was a legitimate campaigning organisation and it did have significant links to the National Council for Civil Liberties and other organisations that were recognised.

‘Secondly, I was told that it was being funded a the request of Special Branch.’

His claims come the day after a report by NSPCC boss Peter Wanless and Richard Whittam QC, which found it was impossible to say if 114 files linked to alleged Westminster child abusers had been destroyed as part of a cover up.

Home Secretary Theresa May said of the findings: ‘It doesn’t prove or disprove the Home Office acted appropriately in the 1980s.’

She added: ‘There might have been a cover-up.’

The report failed to rule out Mr Hulbert’s claims that the Home Office directly awarded tens of thousands of pounds of public money to the PIE, noting that record keeping at the department was in disarray.

 Mr Hulbert’s comments followed claims by an investigative journalist that Home Office papers he saw – which suggested an investigation into the alleged child abuse ring was later carried out – were seized by Special Branch.

Don Hale yesterday revealed he was given a bundle of documents which included the identities of senior politicians who were actively promoting the Paedophile Information Exchange by the late Labour minister Baroness Castle.

He said police later arrived at his newspaper office, pushed him against a wall and demanded to take possession of the dossier.

His claims are now being investigated by the Metropolitan Police.

The Home Secretary said of his claims: ‘I recognise the allegations [Mr Hale] has made so my office has been in discussions with the Metropolitan Police today and the Metropolitan Police have agreed they will now look into those allegations that have been made.’

by RIchard Spillett