Dublin

All posts tagged Dublin

VIDEO: IRA covered up sexual abuse, just like Catholic church: Irish PM

Published October 23, 2014 by misty534

The Irish prime minister has accused the leadership of the IRA of a conspiracy to cover up sexual abuse, likening the group’s actions to that of the Catholic church.

Gerry Adams was also challenged to reveal if IRA rapists and paedophiles were exiled to the Irish Republic.

During the course of the discussion in the Dail, the Sinn Fein president apologised to any sex abuse victims who had been “failed by the IRA’s inability to resolve these issues”.

Taoiseach Enda Kenny demanded the republican leader answer allegations that alleged sexual abusers were secretly expelled to safe houses in Dublin, Louth and Donegal.

The Taoiseach challenged Mr Adams directly: “Are those people still here? Is this true? Do you know of any activities they are involved in now?”

Amid deepening controversy over the case of Belfast woman Mairia Cahill, who claims Sinn Fein covered up her allegations of rape by a suspected IRA member, Mr Kenny said her story will have serious consequences.

Mr Kenny spoke after an hour-long meeting with Ms Cahill .

As her case garnered increased publicity over the last week Ms Cahill claimed she is aware that the IRA moved abusers out of Northern Ireland into Co Louth – Mr Adams’ constituency.

Ms Cahill, 33, from west Belfast, and a former Sinn Fein member, has alleged she was raped by a suspected IRA member when she was a teenager in 1997.

Mr Adams insisted neither he nor Sinn Fein were involved in a cover-up of her allegations and went on to describe people alleged to have been involved in the IRA’s internal investigation into her claims as “decent”.

In an extraordinary 15 minutes in the parliament, Mr Adams did not address the specific question of exiled abusers.

Mr Kenny claimed Ms Cahill’s story involved the leadership of the Provos and he offered to meet the republicans identified by her in the documentary.

“The most powerful people in the IRA conspired in this and I think it is reprehensible that a young woman of this courage and bravery should be kicked about in the last week,” he said.

He compared the IRA’s handling of abuse cases and moving suspected abusers to other jurisdictions with past practice in the Catholic Church.

“These very much mirrored what has happened here with IRA sexual abusers who were members of Sinn Fein,” he said.

Mr Adams repeated his assertions made earlier this week that the IRA sought to deal with some allegations of abuse in some areas when the organisation was approached by families.

“I am acutely conscious that there may be victims who were let down or failed by the IRA’s inability to resolve these cases … I want to apologise to these victims,” he said.

Mr Adams appealed for anyone with allegations to go to the authorities.

“To cover up child abuse is to deny the basic humanity of the victim and to shield the perpetrator, it is an unthinkable act of cruelty. Sinn Fein has not engaged in a cover-up of child abuse,” he said.

Ms Cahill has questioned why the producers of the BBC Spotlight programme that aired her grievances were forced to fight an injunction in the courts before it was broadcast.

The man she accused of rape was acquitted of criminal charges in court last April after Ms Cahill withdrew from the trial in dispute with the direction the police investigation and the Public Prosecution Service had taken in not calling a witness. Ms Cahill reiterated her allegations of abuse at the time.

Charges were dropped against those allegedly involved in the IRA’s internal inquiry.

In the wake of the controversy surrounding Ms Cahill’s allegations, an independent review of three criminal cases linked to the alleged abuse has been ordered by Northern Ireland’s Director of Public Prosecutions Barra McGrory.

Mr McGrory said the independent review will look at the “prosecutorial systems and processes” in relation to the three interlinked cases involving sex abuse and terrorist-related charges.

Ms Cahill said: “I felt badly let down by the justice system.”

The Irish parliament is to debate the controversy and Justice Minister Frances Fitzgerald will hold talks with Stormont Justice Minister David Ford over the case.

A parliamentary committee has also signalled it may inquire into Ms Cahill’s case and call her and Mr Adams.

In a statement last night, Gerry Adams said: “I want once again to reject in the strongest possible terms, entirely malicious and spurious allegations by the Taoiseach and the Fianna Fail leader that I have any information regarding abusers being moved from the north, across border to this jurisdiction or anywhere else”.

He added if anyone had information “regarding the whereabouts of anyone who is a potential threat to members of the community” they should contact the Garda.

Watch video here  http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/regional/video-ira-covered-up-sexual-abuse-just-like-catholic-church-irish-pm-1-6373279

No bail for man accused of distributing ‘extremely violent’ child porn images

Published August 2, 2013 by misty534

sexual exploitation

A 28-year-old man wanted in the United States on charges of distributing and advertising child pornography has today been refused bail.

The High Court was told by an FBI agent that Eric Marques, with an address at Mountjoy Square, Dublin, is allegedly connected to images of extremely violent depictions of the rape and torture of children.

A provisional warrant for the extradition of Marques on four child pornography charges has been issued by a federal court in the Maryland.

The High Court heard the US and Irish citizen was arrested following a raid on his Dublin apartment last Monday.

He may also be facing criminal charges in Ireland.

Marques, who has no previous convictions, was refused bail at the High Court following objections by gardaí and the FBI agent.

The court heard the evidence against him is strong and that the US charges are so serious that he could be incarcerated for life if convicted there.

Mr Justice Paul Gilligan accepted that Marques is a flight risk with connections in Romania and that he is likely to interfere with evidence if released from custody.

Marques had told that court recent Google searches about obtaining visas in Russia had resulted from his curiosity about US whistleblower Edward Snowden.

 

Breaking news IE

Fears suspected ex-IRA paedophile is in capital

Published June 9, 2013 by misty534

images (4)

 

Gardai have been alerted to the possible presence of a suspected paedophile ex-IRA man from Belfast, who has dissident republican associates in Dublin and may have fled there after a complaint to the PSNI by a teenage boy.

According to sources in Belfast, the youth, who is now in his mid-teens, attempted suicide but was saved by family members and has made a recovery in hospital. Local sources said the boy told family members he wanted to speak to police and that he had been raped by the man since he was a child.

Local people in the Catholic area of Belfast where the rape and abuse is said to have happened said the teenage boy had apparently convinced himself from childhood that he was in some form of relationship with the man but had grown distressed when he began to more fully realise what had been happening to him.

Following the complaint, the ex-Provisional IRA man, who is in his mid-forties and comes from a well-known republican family in the south of Belfast, disappeared. Local sources say it is suspected he travelled to Dublin or some other part of the Republic as he is known to have associates here.

The alleged rapist had been closely associated with Sinn Fein after the IRA ceasefires in the mid-Nineties but in recent years had broken with the party and had joined a group opposed to Sinn Fein and the peace process.

He was formerly closely linked to the IRA gang responsible for the murder of innocent father Robert McCartney outside a Belfast pub in January 2005.

A relative of the suspected paedophile, who was also linked to this group, is also suspected of raping and abusing underage girls, according to local people.

The IRA in Belfast has had a record of covering up sexual abusers among its ranks. Two of the men present when Mr McCartney was murdered are well known locally as paedophiles but were protected by the IRA in Belfast.

One moved to north-west Dublin after the murder for a time and was found by gardai to be in the protection of prominent members of the IRA in Dublin.

Gardai say the IRA acted in much the same way that the Catholic Church acted over its paedophiles, moving well-connected members from the areas where they committed abuse but keeping them within the republican “family”, usually in the Republic.

 

It has emerged in recent years that there were several paedophiles in senior positions in the Belfast IRA from the 1970s onwards and they may have operated a ring.

The organisation actively worked to dissuade victims, usually by issuing threats to victims and their families, to prevent them from contacting the police in Northern Ireland. During the Troubles and for some years after, while the IRA was still powerful in Catholic working-class areas, rapes by IRA men went unreported.

One very prominent republican in Belfast raped a young IRA woman in the mid-1980s.

When relatives and friends made a complaint, one of them was severely beaten by the IRA. After that, no further complaints were made and the rapist remained untouched and continued to be involved in the IRA.

Irish Independent

Judge lifts ban on naming ex-priest Bill Carney accused of historic child sex abuse

Published May 22, 2013 by misty534

Image

 

A FORMER priest awaiting trial on historic child sex abuse charges does not have the right to anonymity, a judge held today.

William Carney, aged 62, is charged with 34 counts of indecent assault of eight boys and two girls, at locations in Dublin and north east Leinster from 1969 until 1989.

Today at Cloverhill District Court, Judge Grainne Malone lifted an earlier gag order prohibiting the news media from naming the 62-year-old who currently has no fixed address.

Her ruling came following submissions from lawyers for the Irish Independent, RTE, The Irish Times, and the Irish Daily Mail’s publishers Associated Newspapers.

The case was adjourned for two weeks.

John Fitzgerald BL, for RTE, said the constitution states that justice has to be administered in public, and he argued that the news media has to report on matters in the interest of the public.

He submitted that there was no statutory basis for the order prohibiting the naming of the accused man unless there were exceptional circumstances.

Solicitor Tony Williams, for the Irish Independent, also said that there was no legislative provision barring the identification of Mr Carney. “There has to be a question whether his right to a fair trial requires him to be anonymised, but there has be no evidence of that,” he submitted.

The arguments advanced by the lawyers for RTE and Irish Independent were reiterated by solicitors David Phelan and Michael Keely who represented The Irish Times and Associated Newspapers respectively.

State solicitor Tom Conlon also said there was no statutory impediment with regards to the defendant being identified but there was in relation to the anonymity of the alleged injured parties.

 

Independant i.e.

Woman bids to change child-porn guilty plea

Published April 30, 2013 by misty534

Image

A WOMAN who previously admitted to the possession of child pornography is seeking to withdraw her guilty plea.

Tanya Mulryan (30), of Foynes Court, Longford, pleaded guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to having child pornography images printed on an A4 page at her home on February 7, 2006.

The office of the DPP has previously indicated that it intended to drop a second charge of having child pornography images at her home on February 6, 2006.

Mary Rose Gearty, defending, told Judge Mary Ellen Ring that there was a serious danger of a miscarriage of justice occurring if her client’s earlier guilty plea was accepted by the court.

She said the court had the power in exceptional cases to allow an accused person to change their pleas.

Tara Burns, prosecuting, told the court that the State did not accept Ms Mulryan’s claims that she was acting under the coercion of her father when she made admissions to gardai.

Judge Ring put the case back one week to consider her ruling.

 

Independant i.e.

Woman bids to change child-porn guilty plea

Published April 30, 2013 by misty534

Image

A WOMAN who previously admitted to the possession of child pornography is seeking to withdraw her guilty plea.

Tanya Mulryan (30), of Foynes Court, Longford, pleaded guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to having child pornography images printed on an A4 page at her home on February 7, 2006.

The office of the DPP has previously indicated that it intended to drop a second charge of having child pornography images at her home on February 6, 2006.

Mary Rose Gearty, defending, told Judge Mary Ellen Ring that there was a serious danger of a miscarriage of justice occurring if her client’s earlier guilty plea was accepted by the court.

She said the court had the power in exceptional cases to allow an accused person to change their pleas.

Tara Burns, prosecuting, told the court that the State did not accept Ms Mulryan’s claims that she was acting under the coercion of her father when she made admissions to gardai.

Judge Ring put the case back one week to consider her ruling.

 

Independant i.e.