Grafton Close Children’s Home

All posts tagged Grafton Close Children’s Home

Priest on trial for child sex abuse at Hounslow children’s home

Published February 17, 2015 by JS2

The trial of a Catholic priest accusing of abusing young boys at a children’s home in Hounslow has begun at Southwark Crown Court today.

Tony McSweeney
Father Tony McSweeney arrives at court today Credit: ITN

Father Tony McSweeney denies sexually abusing youngsters at Grafton Close Children’s home in Hanworth in the 70’s & 80’s

The prosecutor, Sarah Plaschkes QC alleges that on various occasions McSweeney took indecent photographs of teenage boys, and that in 1998 his cleaner found a video in his home. When he was arrested indecent images were found on his laptop.

The court heard the Priest was a friend of John Stingemore, the man in charge of Grafton Close, a residential home for vulnerable children at the time.

The prosecution allege McSweeney abused three boys at the home.

The jury also heard details of McSweeney’s involvement with the Scouts, helping out at a week long event for cubs at Gilwell Park in Surrey.

It is claimed an incident in the shower block of the retreat was proof of McSweeney’s interest in young boys.

Stingemore, was the co-accused in the case and would have been in dock with McSweeney, but died earlier this year.

The jury were shown a photograph of McSweeney at the home with young boys, and were told he was a regular visitor to the home and may even have been on the payroll for a time.

During the trial the jury will hear from several witnesses who were resident in the home at the time.

McSweeney, who faces 8 counts, denies all the charges

ITV news

Suspected paedophile found dead just weeks before he was due to stand trial

Published January 16, 2015 by JS2

A suspected paedophile has been found dead just weeks before he was due to stand trial.

stream_img

John Stingemore, the former manager of a children’s home in west London, was charged with a series of indecent assaults.

The prosecution followed an investigation into allegations of historical sex abuse at Grafton Close children’s home in Hounslow.

.

Stingemore’s body was found at his home at St Leonards-on-Sea in East Sussex.

A post-mortem examination has yet to take place but police said his death was not suspicous.

Stingemore’s case was due to be heard at Southwark Crown Court next month.

Sussex priest accused of sexual abuse at children’s home

Published July 24, 2013 by JS2

images (1)

A Roman Catholic priest has been charged in relation to alleged historic sexual abuse at a children’s home.

Father Anthony McSweeney, 66, was charged with three counts of indecent assault, three of making indecent images of a child, one count of taking indecent images of a child and one of possessing indecent images of a child following an investigation into abuse alleged to have taken place at Grafton Close Children’s Home in Hounslow, west London, the Metropolitan Police said.

A second man, John Stingemore, 71, was charged with eight counts of indecent assault, two of taking indecent images of a child and one count of conspiracy with persons unknown to commit buggery.

The charges relate to seven victims, all of whom were aged between nine and 15 when the offences are alleged to have taken place during the 1970s and 80s.

McSweeney, of Old Brighton Road North, Pease Pottage, West Sussex, and Stingemore, of Stonehouse Drive, St Leonards on Sea, East Sussex, are due to appear at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on September 4.

A third man arrested in connection with Operation Fernbridge remains on police bail.

Anyone with information about abuse at the children’s home or who believes they may have been a victim is asked to contact the NSPCC on their helpline 0808 800 5000.

 

The Argus