indecent images of children

All posts tagged indecent images of children

Met officer charged with making indecent images of children

Published January 15, 2015 by misty534

new-scotland-yard

A Met Police officer has been charged with making indecent images of children.

Scotland Yard said PC Peter Ba Han, 52, is due in court next week after he was arrested in October 2013.

A spokesman said: “A serving MPS officer based in Kingston was today, Thursday January 15, charged with 14 counts of making an indecent image of a child, contrary to Section 1(1)(a) of the Protection of Children Act 1978.

“Ba Han was arrested on Tuesday, 8 October 2013 following an investigation by the Directorate of Professional Standards and bailed before being charged.”

He remains suspended and will appear at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on Monday.

Parents’ anger after internet paedophile found to have worked with Pontypool pupils

Published October 2, 2014 by misty534

Screen Shot 2014-10-02 at 21.19.39

FURIOUS parents voiced their frustration today after finding out an internet paedophile caught with 929 indecent images had been in close contact with nursery pupils.

The concerned parents gathered outside George Street Primary in Pontypool to confront the school authorities after teaching assistant Simon Williams admitted downloading hundreds of vile images of children, when he appeared in court yesterday.

The 39-year-old was bailed after admitting having 929 files, including 219 category A images – the highest possible.

Families criticised the school for breaking the news in sealed letters handed over to their children on the day Williams appeared in court.

One parent, Richard Darch, 35, said: “I feel handing out letters on such a sensitive subject was a wrong way of handling the situation.

“This is what has caused a lot of anger among parents.”

Williams, of Blaendare Road, Pontypool, was immediately suspended after being caught in a UK wide child porn crackdown.

George Street Primary headteacher, Julie Wood, said in the letter the charges did not relate to any children at the school or the Torfaen community.

Torfaen council interim head of education service, Dermot McChrystal, told the parents outside George Street Primary there was no evidence anything untoward had happened at the school.

Mr McChrystal said: “He presented himself as someone who was very good with children, he was very supportive and kind in class and we had no reason to believe that anything happened in school that was untoward, put someone at risk or that anyone was harmed. We have no evidence of that whatsoever.”

Gwent Police Insp John Davies told the parents: “A large number of images were found on the computers belonging to this individual, all of which had been downloaded from the internet.

“There was no suggestion that anything had come from any schools or anything locally.

“There had never been any concerns about Mr Williams’ behaviour in the three months that he was at this school towards your children.”

But Mr Darch told the Argus: “There is no way of knowing this man hasn’t been alone with children.”

His wife Peggy said she hoped he would be given custody when he is sentenced on October 24.

Another parent Laura Perham, 30, said: “I do trust the teachers. That’s why I have left my daughter there.

“I think the teachers have gone about it the best way that they could.”

Williams is understood to have worked at a special needs resource unit at Pontymoile Primary School beforehand.

Education chiefs are to hold a further meeting with parents in the next few days to discuss the matter further.

Mr McChrystal added in a statement: “Simon Williams appeared in Cwmbran magistrates’ court on Wednesday and pleaded guilty to possession of indecent images of children.

“This is an extremely serious matter which was part of a national police investigation. Due to the ongoing legal proceedings we could not disclose detail about this to parents while the court case was active.

“Mr Williams was suspended immediately the allegations emerged and the Torfaen schools where Mr Williams has worked have co-operated fully with Gwent Police as they conducted their investigations. The disclosure of further information on this case is a matter for the police and the Crown Prosecution Service, however, we have spoken to some parents at the school today and will update parents if further information is forthcoming.”

South Wales Argus

Children’s doctor admits sexual abuse of cancer sufferers aged as young as 11

Published September 15, 2014 by misty534

DrMylesBradbury

A children’s doctor has admitted a string of sexual offences against cancer sufferers in his care aged as young as 11.

Dr Myles Bradbury pleaded guilty to six counts of sexual assault and 13 counts of engaging in sexual activity with a child.

He also pleaded guilty to three counts of causing or inciting a child to engage in sexual activity.

The 41-year-old paediatric haematologist at Addenbrooke’s Hospital, in Cambridge, appeared at Cambridge Crown Court today.

Wearing a dark suit and blue tie, Bradbury also pleaded guilty to one count of voyeurism and two counts of making indecent images of a child

The offences involved 18 complainants which date back to 2009, prosecutor John Farmer said.

Bradbury was bailed and told he would have to sign the sex offenders register.

He pleaded not guilty to a count of sexual activity with a child and a count of sexual assault.

Judge Gareth Hawkesworth said the two offences will probably remain on file.

A sentencing date was not given but the judge said Bradbury could expect a “substantial” custodial sentence.

As he left court, Bradbury told reporters: “I’m so sorry.” He refused to answer further questions.

 

 

Catherine Wylie

Pervert, 72, walks free after 20 years of downloading indecent pictures of children

Published September 14, 2014 by misty534

download (1)

A 72-YEAR-OLD pervert who coached youngsters in table tennis has walked free from court despite downloading thousands of indecent images of children over a 20-year period.

After pleading guilty to 11 charges of making indecent images and movies of children, Michael John Smith, of Coventry Crescent, Poole, was spared jail.

Bournemouth Crown Court heard most of the sickening images were rated as category A – the most serious rating given to material of this type. Some were of children believed to be as young as five.

Carolyn Branford-Wood, prosecuting, said the pictures and videos were discovered on Smith’s computer after a warrant was executed at his home in November last year.

Smith told police he been downloading indecent images of children for around 20 years.

Mark Ruffell, mitigating, said Smith, who used to be a coach at Bournemouth Sports Table Tennis Club, resigned from the club when his crimes were uncovered.

The court was told Smith’s wife, who supported her husband in the public gallery, had suffered from bipolar disorder for around 30 years.

He had been her “emotional and physical punchbag”, Mr Ruffell said.

“He does not seek to excuse his behaviour by her illness but it cannot be discounted,” he added.

The court heard as his wife’s condition worsened Smith began viewing more and more pornographic material online.

“Over time they got younger and younger. He got fixated. He admits he has got a problem,” Mr Ruffell said.

Sentencing Smith, who had no previous convictions, Judge Peter Johnson said: “You downloaded these images over a period of time and some of those images showed distress on the children when sexual acts were done to them.

“It seems to me that just under three decades you have grappled with and coped with your wife’s serious disorder.

“This was the turning point in your life, which led you to turn to pornography which became more and more extreme and turned to young children.”

Smith was given a 12-month prison sentence, suspended for two years, and was ordered to complete a sex offenders rehabilitation programme.

He was also made the subject of a sexual offences prevention order to prevent unsupervised contact with children.

Judge Johnson said: “It seems to me, while it is a matter of fine judgement, that if anyone deserves a chance it’s you.”

‘They need treatment’

Deborah Denis, spokeswoman for the child sexual abuse prevention campaign Stop It Now, said it was not uncommon for online offenders to be spared jail.

“One of the reasons is that sentencing guidelines mean the offender would not be in prison long enough to receive treatment. Over the past few years judges have been leaning towards community orders and suspended sentences,” she said.

According to a report from the Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre, an estimated 50,000-60,000 people in the UK regularly download child pornography.

Ms Denis said: “The most important thing is that they get some form of treatment and don’t reoffend again. Whether that is in prison or not is by the by.”

 

  • 67-year-old man denies making indecent images of children

    Published August 7, 2013 by misty534

    images (11)

     

    A REDDITCH man has appeared in court to deny making 13 indecent images of children.

    67-year-old Michael Ellis, of Rosehall Close, Redditch, is accused of making 11 images at level one, the lowest level of seriousness, between November 2009 and December 2011.

    He is also charged with making a level three photograph on December 9, 2011, and a level four image – the second most serious – on December 18.

    He was given conditional bail at Worcester Crown Court earlier this week to await a pre-trial review on October 14.

     

    Redditch Advisor

    Former MET officer jailed for child-related sex offences

    Published August 7, 2013 by misty534

    A FORMER police officer has been jailed for two yearsafter he admitted a string of child-related sex offences.

    1557871235

    Robert Ryan, of Great Northern Street, Huntingdon, was charged with two counts of making or possessing indecent images of children, two counts of attempting to cause a child to engage in sexual activity and attempting to arrange a child sex offence.

    The 48-year-old, who appeared at Peterborough Crown Court for sentencing on Wednesday (July 31), had pleaded guilty at an earlier hearing.

    Prosecuting, Andrew Howarth said Ryan, a father-of-two, had been a detective sergeant with the Metropolitan Police and his duties, although not linked to the charges, had included supervision of registered sex offenders.

    He was arrested at home in Huntingdon in December 2010 after a 17-year-old girl, who he had met online, contacted police.

    The pair had a sadomasochistic sexual relationship and engaged in ‘age play’, when he pretended she was a little girl, said Mr Howarth, but she became concerned.

    “The defendant asked her whether she could find him a 15-year-old girl for sexual purposes,” Mr Howarth addded. “Such was her concern that she reported it to police.”

    Officers seized two laptops and found a number of indecent images of girls, believed to be under 16.

    Further examination of the computers revealed Ryan had been on internet chatroom sites in 2006 asking others for images of young girls.

    Another log from the same year showed a girl, known only as Katie, asking: “Are you ok with me being 14?” He replied: “Yes.”

    The court heard that explicit conversation followed, while web cams were in use. Mr Howarth added: “He asked whether he could meet Katie, the suggestion being they would meet for sex.”

    For Ryan, Felicia Davy said he had shown genuine remorse and a willingness to seek help to rehabilitate himself. Having recognised he was addicted to pornography, he had been referred to a clinic by his GP, she said.

    Significant matters that affected his childhood continued to affect him psychologically and emotionally, she added, and he had been dismissed from the Met and was in debt.

    Sentencing, Judge Nic Madge said: “Making or possessing indecent images is a serious offence which involves the corruption, degradation and infliction of pain on real children.

    “Lives are wrecked as a result. You must be aware of that given your work as a police officer.

    “Sexual abuse of the girls whose photos appear on the internet would not have happened if it were not for people like you prepared to watch such images. It is not putting it too high to say you are indirectly responsible for their sexual abuse.”

    He also condemned Ryan for being “directly responsible for the abuse and ongoing corruption of a girl who you believed to be aged 14”.

    Ryan was sentenced to a total of two years in prison and made the subject of a five-year sexual offences prevention order.

     

    Hunts Post 24

    Ellesmere Port man downloaded child sex images

    Published August 5, 2013 by misty534

    images (1)

     

    A FATHER posed as a teenage girl on Facebook and downloaded more than 3,000 indecent images of children, a court heard.

    Graham Andrew Stinton, 50, created an online alter-ego for himself and pretended to be 14-year-old Hanna Simpson.

    Chester Crown Court heard he struck up conversations with other men who shared his sexual interests including some who were also pretending to be teenage girls.

    Father-of-two Stinton was caught out when an email address he created as ‘Hanna’ was found to be uploading indecent images onto social networks.

    Gordon Hennell, prosecuting, told the court an American-based centre informed the police and the email account was traced to Stinton’s then home address.

    Police went to the house in November, 2011 but Stinton was not at home and his wife and children were unaware of the email address.

    Mr Hennell said Stinton, now of Willow Grove, Ellesmere Port, then arrived and officers asked him about the email address.

    “He initially denied it but very soon after admitted it,” said Mr Hennell.

    “It is right to say that from the very outset he admitted everything.”

    Police seized computer equipment from the family home and discovered 3,244 images and 228 videos of girls aged between three and 13-years-old.

    Nine further obscene images were found on a mobile phone belonging to Stinton, who admitted 17 counts of possessing indecent images and videos of children between June, 2010 and November, 2011.

    Mr Hennell told the court some of the images were level four and five – the most extreme – and showed sexual activity between young girls and men.

    “He admitted making up the relevant email addresses and using them to upload images onto Tagged and Facebook,” he said.

    “It appears lots of men interested in this did exactly the same thing.”

    Stinton told police he had downloaded the images to make the Hanna profile “more interesting” to other Facebook users.

    Mr Hennell said: “There was evidence from Facebook he had initiated conversations with other users.”

    But he added there was no evidence Stinton had ever tried to communicate with any children.

    Andrew Thomas, defending, told the court Stinton’s relationship with his wife and children had collapsed once his offences came to light.

    “Mr Stinton has demonstrated genuine guilt, shame and disgust at what he has done,” said Mr Thomas.

    He said Stinton had been voluntarily attending sex offenders’ sessions with child protection charity the Lucy Faithfull Foundation.

    Judge Roger Dutton said the seriousness of the offence meant Stinton was facing prison but he had decided to suspend his sentence.

    Judge Dutton said the fact Stinton came clean straight away and had been attending sessions with the Lucy Faithfull Foundation counted in his favour.

    He said an immediate prison sentence would mean he would not get help to prevent him reoffending.

    Stinton was sentenced to 12 months in prison, suspended for two years, and told he would have to sign the sex offenders’ register for the next 10 years.

    He was also made the subject of a two-year supervision order requiring him to complete the Northumbria Sex Offender Groupwork Programme and an indefinite sexual offences prevention order banning him from accessing pornography and imposing stringent conditions on his future internet use.

    The judge warned Stinton he would be sent straight to jail if he commits any offences in the next two years or fails to comply with the court orders.

     

    Chester First