John Mann

All posts tagged John Mann

Home Office under fire over missing child abuse files review

Published July 23, 2015 by JS2

Screen Shot 2015-07-23 at 16.33.25

Newly discovered government documents also relate to senior Westminster figures, including Leon Brittan

The Home Office is facing criticism over a review into the department’s handling of the 1980s Dickens dossier of paedophilia allegations.

Peter Wanless, chief executive of the NSPCC, was brought in to investigate in July after an internal Home Office review found no evidence of a dossier of suspected child abusers compiled by Conservative MP Geoffrey Dickens in the 1980s.

The internal review also found that between 1979 and 1999 the department had “lost or destroyed” 114 files relating to child abuse.

Wanless has also reportedly failed to uncover the files or the dossier and is expected to criticise the Home Office’s record-keeping and archiving when he publishes his report later today.

He is expected to agree with the department’s findings that there is no evidence to suggest the missing files had been removed or destroyed inappropriately.

The Home Office says the department did consider the allegations contained in the Dickens dossier at the time and passed on 13 “items of information” to the police and prosecutors.

However, Labour MP Simon Danczuk, who raised the issue of the missing dossier earlier this year, has complained that the timescale for the Wanless review has not allowed for more sophisticated digital tracing techniques to be used.

“That raises serious questions about the scope of the investigations and, frankly, leaves a question mark over any of its findings,” he told the Daily Telegraph.

Mark Sedwill, the department’s permanent secretary, said the review had analysed a central database containing 746,000 files from the period 1979 to 1999.

Labour has also been critical of Home Secretary Theresa May’s decision to publish the Wanless report in a written ministerial statement rather than face questions from MPs in the Commons.

“The failure by Wanless to throw any new light on the fate of the allegations by Dickens is likely to fuel the continuing row over the establishment of a national overarching inquiry into historical allegations of child sex abuse,” says The Guardian.

The Home Secretary has already apologised for the delays to the overarching inquiry after Fiona Woolf, the second chair appointed to lead the inquiry stood down over her links to Lord Brittan.

UK News

Advertisements

Westminster paedophile ring: Was second man killed over child abuse cover-up?

Published December 23, 2014 by JS2

Screen Shot 2014-12-23 at 00.00.59

A council official and a caretaker may have been killed to stop them exposing a Westminster paedophile ring, Labour’s John Mann said

Two men may have been murdered as part of an establishment cover-up into child sex abuse allegations, an MP sensationally claimed today.

A council official and a caretaker may have been killed to stop them exposing a Westminster paedophile ring, Labour’s John Mann said.

The shocking allegation comes as abuse survivors expect Home Secretary Theresa May to axe a panel of experts investigating claims of historical sex attacks by powerful figures.

They fear the Government does not “want to get at the truth” of the accusations, according to Mr Mann’s party colleague, Simon Danczuk.

The murder claims centre on Daily Mirror revelations seven months ago about Lambeth Council official Bulic Forsythe, who died in February 1993 in suspicious circumstances.

Bulic Forsythe
Silenced? Mr Forsythe’s case remains unsolved 21 years on

He had vowed to expose a paedophile ring allegedly linked to a future minister in Tony Blair’s government.

Bulic told a witness he suspected vulnerable youngsters were being assaulted by an organised gang at one children’s home said to have been visited by the Labour politician.

But days later Bulic, 42, was beaten to death in his flat which was later set on fire. The case has remained unsolved for 21 years.

Mr Mann today said social services manager Bulic – and an unnamed council caretaker – could have been killed to silence them.

The caretaker died in a “suspicious” fire, Mr Mann said, adding that the worker “was providing information and tapes relating to sex abuse and sex parties” in the run-up to his death.

He claimed the deaths were “undoubtedly linked” to child abuse at Westminster and “potentially linked to the wider scandal” involving other high-profile figures.

“Both were people who were in essence blowing the whistle on child abuse – for whatever motive – and two very suspicious deaths,” he said.

Bulic Forsythe
Family: Mr Bulic’s wife Dawn and daughter Kiddist when younger

Mr Mann told Sky News Bulic “had significant information in relation to child abuse”, adding: “The evidence about what he is said to have uncovered is very precise and relates to what’s come much more to light in the last 12 months,”

He went on: “It’s clear his death was highly suspicious and that he had crucial information about child abuse.”

Mr Mann has handed Scotland Yard a dossier including allegations about the involvement of 22 politicians – some of them apparently still serving – in paedophile rings.

The names are said to include 14 ex-ministers.

He urged the Government to release Special Branch police officers from the Official Secrets Act, allowing them to come forward with evidence.

Meanwhile, Rochdale MP Mr Danczuk warned sex abuse survivors could turn to “direct action” as a stalled-inquiry fades into “complete disarray”.

Frustrated campaigners have been told Mrs May will scrap a panel of experts appointed to take evidence, and start all over again.

The inquiry was announced in July but has been hit by a series of setbacks as two chairmen were forced to quit over establishment links.

Mr Danczuk blasted “people at the centre of government” saying: “You can’t help thinking they aren’t intent on getting this right.”

He said child abuse survivors could not be blamed for suspecting “quite deliberate mistakes by people at the centre of government” over the fiasco.

Mr Danczuk said people should prepare for “more and bigger, peaceful protests, more challenging of ministers, more challenging of the police to take action”.

“There is very little faith in Government in terms of delivering this,” he told the BBC.

“You can’t help thinking that they are not intent on getting this right.”

National Association for People Abused in Childhood boss Peter Saunders said he was “yet to encounter any survivors who have confidence in the process”.

A Home Office spokesman said: “The Home Secretary is determined that appalling cases of child sexual abuse should be exposed so that perpetrators face justice and the vulnerable are protected.”

Ben Glaze