Leeds

All posts tagged Leeds

MP Accuses Barnardo’s Of Abuse ‘Whitewash’

Published March 2, 2015 by misty534

106359887-1-300x225

An MP has accused children’s charity Barnardo’s of a whitewash over the historical sexual abuse of one of his constituents and is demanding an independent investigation.

Greg Mulholland MP claims the charity has failed to properly investigate its treatment of a 16-year-old girl who was groomed and sexually abused while living in a Barnardo’s flat in Leeds in 1993.

The MP says he is ready to “name and shame” the care workers who he claims left the girl at the mercy of a gang of British Pakistani men and blamed her for the abuse.

The charity insists it conducted a rigorous investigation into the case and says it has addressed the concerns raised by Mr Mulholland.

The victim, now 37, revealed her abuse on Sky News last October after obtaining a letter written in 1993 by the Barnardo’s staff member in charge of the accommodation.

The letter, sent to the girl’s social worker, acknowledges she was sexually assaulted in the property but says the situation “could have been avoided if (she) had not been party to the antics of a group of young men”.

The girl remained in the flat for six months and says she continued to be attacked and then raped in what is the only known case of an Asian gang grooming a child in Leeds.

Barnardo’s chief executive Javed Khan wrote to Mr Mulholland to say the charity had investigated the case following the Sky News report.

“The investigation conclusions do not support (your) analysis of the performance and conduct of the Barnardo’s project worker,” he wrote.

In reply the MP accused Barnardo’s of failing to ensure the girl’s safety, telling Mr Khan: “Your investigation and reply are nothing more than a whitewash, which is wholly unacceptable.”

Mr Mulholland told Sky News he would not let the matter rest.

“Unless I have a full and proper response I will be taking this matter further, including publicly naming and shaming those involved,” he said.

Sky News understands the author of the 1993 letter currently works with vulnerable children for another agency in Yorkshire while the victim’s social worker is now a manager in adult social care.

In September 2014, Mr Khan condemned institutions that had blamed children for their own abuse and called for them to be investigated by the Government’s independent inquiry into child sexual exploitation.

In a statement last week the charity said its investigation into the case had been independently scrutinised and reviewed.

“The investigation found that Barnardo’s sought to work with the local authority to keep the girl safe from abuse in line with the legislation, policy and practice current at the time,” it said.

Mix96

Leeds pervert arrested after using wife’s phone to download child porn pictures

Published June 5, 2013 by misty534

images (5)

 

A child porn pervert from Leeds was caught after he downloaded vile images of children on his wife’s mobile phone.

 

Mark Moorin, 39, was arrested at his home in Pudsey, Leeds, following a tip off from police in the USA.

Officers then seized a computer from the house on Lowtown when they searched the property in November 2009.

Ewan McLachlan, prosecuting, told Leeds Crown Court a total of 1,427 illegal photographs and 133 movies were discovered. A total of 68 images were at level five – the most serious kind.

Moorin claimed he had swapped photographs with a couple and they sent him a file which infected his computer with illegal images.

He then claimed he had got a new laptop but that had also become infected with illegal images. He pleaded guilty to 21 offences relating to making indecent images of children.

Graham Parkin, mitigating, said delays in the investigation had led to it hanging over his client for three-and-a-half years until it finally came before the court. During that time Moorin had not committed any other offences.

Moorin was made the subject of a three year community order, during which he will be required to take part in sex offender treatment programmes.

He was also ordered to sign the sex offenders register for five years.

 

Yorkshire evening post

Savile’s Scarborough flat sold to child abuse campaigner

Published March 27, 2013 by misty534

JIMMY Savile’s flat in Scarborough has been sold to one of the country’s leading campaigners against child abuse, it emerged today.

Millionaire businessman Sir Rodney Walker was a leading supporter of the NSPCC’s Full Stop campaign chaired by the Duke of York. He personally raised £25 million for the drive to stamp out child cruelty.

He now plans to renovate Savile’s second home in Wessex Court, overlooking the South Bay. Savile originally bought it as a gift to his mother Agnes, keeping it as a shrine to her following her death.

 

Sir Rodney, 69, said he had “no second thoughts” about clinching the deal for the three-bedroom property after the scandal into Savile’s child sex abuse broke.

He said: “I think like everyone else in the country I was totally taken aback. I had never heard any rumours or any suggestion he was not the generous philanthropist we all thought he was.”

The flat went on the market last summer.

 Sir Rodney, a former World Snooker and Leicester City chairman originally from Wakefield, already owns a flat on the floor below Savile’s.

A gold Savile memorial plaque installed on the wall by Scarborough Civic Society was removed after being vandalised. Signs to a footpath opposite the building renamed Savile’s View in his honour were also taken down out of respect to victims of the former DJ.