Mansfield

All posts tagged Mansfield

Police launch major investigation into claims of sexual abuse at Nottinghamshire care homes dating back 75 years

Published April 8, 2015 by misty534
  • Operation Xeres will focus on abuse claims at Skegby Hall children’s home
  • Inquiry will have a team of 20 looking into the historical abuse claims 
  • More than 20 claims have been made relating to abuse in care homes

Screen Shot 2015-04-08 at 15.07.10

Skegby Hall in Mansfield, which was a former children’s care home. Police have launched an investigation looking into claims of sexual abuse at the home

Police have launched a major investigation into claims of sexual abuse at care homes in Nottinghamshire dating back more than 70 years.

Operation Xeres will focus on allegations relating to abuse at Skegby Hall children’s home near Mansfield.

The inquiry will also look into nine other centres in Nottinghamshire where children were said to have been physically or sexually abused.

The 10 centres, all of which have either closed or changed their use since the time of the alleged abuse, also includes Whatton Youth Detention Centre.

Also being investigated are three former residential centres in Mansfield and five others in Worksop, Southwell and Stapleford.

The inquiry will have a team of 20 people looking into the abuse claims and will also include two social workers.

Three of the 23 allegations relate to a former youth detention centre, where teenage inmates were detained with the oldest claim dating back to the 1940s.

Police will look at whether the abuse was systematic or organised.

However, they say they are aware many of the records relating to the homes may no longer exist and that some of the alleged perpetrators may have died.

The investigation comes after calls for an inquiry by people who claimed they were sexually abused at Skegby Hall.

The investigation called Operation Xeres has been launched by Nottinghamshire Police, pictured. The inquiry will have a team of 20 people looking into the abuse claims and will also include two social workers

A separate inquiry called Operation Daybreak is already looking at child abuse at homes in Nottingham in the 1960s and 70s.

It comes after 189 former residents of 18 children’s homes in Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire say they were abused between the 1950s and 1980s.

So far 11 people have been arrested in connection with the inquiry.

Among the victims to speak to Nottinghamshire Police in connection with alleged abuse is Golden Globe and Bafta winner, Samantha Morton.

The actress who spent most of her childhood living in institutions in Nottingham, spoke out last year saying she was abused by two male residential home workers at the Red Tile Children’s Home when she was just 13.

The double-Oscar nominee said she decided to waive her right to anonymity in the wake of a report detailing sexual exploitation of 1,400 children over a period of 16 years in Rotherham, South Yorkshire.

Jennifer Newton

Mansfield man who downloaded child porn images is jailed for three years four months

Published May 21, 2013 by misty534

Image

 

A Mansfield man who downloaded child porn and offered it to a total of 221 other people on the internet has been jailed for three years and four months.

Phillip Williams (45), accessed 681 indecent images of children and 100 movie clips, Nottingham Crown Court heard.

One five-minute video involved a baby and was ‘particularly disgusting,’ said Paul Stimson, prosecuting.

Police with a warrant went to his home in Roseberry Hill on 1st March last year and seized two computer hard-drives and a USB ‘thumb’ drive.

The images had been created between April 2009 and January last year and had been categorised into boys and girls.

They had been deleted by the time the police arrived.

A total of 280 photos and 80 video films were at the second worst level and 12 photos and five films at the most serious level.

Mr Stimson said: “It was clear he was distributing the images.

“He actively sought out others to share the material with. He had been in contact with no less than 221 other people.

“When interviewed, he accepted he had provided his password to other users. But he tried to claim he had an on-line persona and in reality had no interest in children.’

Williams pleaded guilty to six counts of making indecent images and having them for show.

In mitigation it was said he had no previous convictions and had been a hard-working man until made redundant.

He was thoroughly ashamed and full of remorse. The offences devastated his family and as a result he had to move out of his home.

Judge Andrew Hamilton said Williams’s claim he was lonely did not excuse downloading ‘this filth.’

The judge disqualified him from working with children indefinitely and he will be on the sex offender register for life.