MET

All posts tagged MET

Former Malta university lecturer investigated on Richmond child abuse

Published October 8, 2014 by misty534

elm-guest-house-1-2xoq4nntdtr7ommltp95ai

Louis Minster was in charge of the council’s social services at the time it is alleged boys from Grafton Close children’s home were taken to  Elm Guest House near Barnes and sexually abused by a number of prominent people

Malta Today reports:- “Louis Minster, under investigation in the UK over his alleged involvement in a paedophilia ring, lectured at the University of Malta for nine years.

In reply to questions sent by this newspaper, a University spokesperson said “Louis Minster had a mainly part-time lecturing post, broadly covering Social Work topics from 1988 to 1997. After this he occasionally gave lectures on a casual basis up until 2002.”

However, the spokesperson clarified that at that time the University was not informed about the investigations, which came to light in 2013.

Documents seen by MaltaToday show that since moving to Malta, Minster represented the University of Malta at a number of international conferences and also trained health assistants on drug abuse.

Last month, Minster, a former director of social services in the London Borough of Richmond-upon-Thames admitted with MaltaToday that he was aware of reports of an alleged paedophilia ring during his term in office in the late seventies and early eighties.

Minster was in charge of the council’s social services at the time it is alleged boys from Grafton Close children’s home were taken to Elm Guest House in Barnes and sexually abused by a number of prominent people, including former UK government ministers, senior MPs, senior police officers and people with links to the royal family.

To date, Louis Minster, who now lives in retirement in Malta, has always denied that he was aware of the alleged sex abuse on boys in care at the Grafton Close, Teddington Park and Rodney Road children’s homes, which were run by the Richmond council.

However, in a brief comment to this newspaper, the 82-year-old insisted that while he had absolutely no involvement in the ring, he admitted for the first time that he was aware of the alleged abuse.

“No…well, yes, through one of my staff,” he said.

Contacted for further comment, Minster offered to meet in the presence of his solicitor, however he later explained over the phone that “the Metropolitan Police have told me to refrain from commentating in the press since I am a key witness.” Further attempts to contact him by phone have proved futile.

Investigations show that while in charge of social services Minster was briefed by one of his employees, Terry Earland, head of children’s services, while documentation shows that Minster oddly pulled the file of a 14-year-old boy in care who had knowledge of child abuse at the time.

Earland claims he received complaints of sexual abuse from children and referred them to both police and council staff, but no investigation were made.

Minster was Director of the Social Services Department of the London Borough of Richmond-upon-Thames from 1975 to 1984 and was the boss of John Stingemore, the head of the home, who was arrested by the police last year.

In 2013, the Metropolitan Police Services’ paedophile unit made a number of arrests under ‘Operation Fernbridge’, which is investigating the alleged child abuse.

The Metropolitan Police Services’ paedophile unit has evidence that boys from Grafton Close and two other children’s homes run by the Richmond council were abused at the guest house during Minster’s nine years as head of the borough’s social services.

Prominent people who attended parties at Elm Guest House are reported to have included the Liberal MP Cyril Smith and the Soviet spy Anthony Blunt.

According to the UK daily The Independent, other alleged visitors to the guesthouse included the former British diplomat, Sir Peter Hayman, as well as a Sinn Féin politician, a Labour MP, several Conservative politicians, judges and pop stars.

In addition to eight guest rooms, facilities at Elm Guest House included a sauna, solarium and video studio.

The council terminated Minster’s employment in October 1984 and he claims the reasons for his dismissal were entirely political.

He is believed to have received a £10,000 pay-off and a generous pension and took up a new position in Glasgow training social workers.

Following Minster’s dismissal, the Richmond council secretly paid compensation to a person who was in care at Grafton Lodge, and who was abused at Elm Guest House.”

by Louise Turner

Police officer who downloaded 16 child porn pictures of young girls in erotic poses will appeal his conviction

Published June 25, 2013 by misty534

mcgrath

 

An award winning Waltham Forest police officer is appealing against his conviction for possessing indecent images of children.

Adam Holbrook, 29, who is based in Waltham Forest but lives in Chelmsford, was fined £640 in May after 16 images of young girls in erotic poses were found on his laptop.

He claimed they had downloaded without his knowledge as he browsed porn site Prime Jail Bait looking for adult images.

But the officer was convicted of making indecent images of children at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on May 16 after a two day trial.

Appearing at Southwark Crown Court yesterday, Holbrook’s lawyer Heather Oliver said: “The first issue is whether he could have known the images were being made.

“The issue of whether the images were indecent, and whether the young women were underage will also be raised.”

Holbrook admitted regularly using porn sites during his trial, but said he did not know how the 16 images had ended up on his computer.

He was arrested on August 7 last year over claims he had 16 child porn pictures on his computer.

The images include underage girls posing in underwear or completely naked.

His appeal, which will last two days, will be heard on October 24 at Southwark Crown Court.

Holbrook had denied one offence of making indecent images of children.

The officer had been commended for his work at a murder scene in Chingford in 2007 where music producer Richie Holmes was shot dead.

He is currently suspended from the Met and will remain so pending a disciplinary hearing which will take place once court proceedings are over.

 

 

this is local London

Police officer spared jail despite having 3,000 pictures of young girls on his computer

Published May 17, 2013 by misty534

Image

 

  • PC Adam Holbrook had 16 indecent images of young girls on his laptop
  • Other photos showed underage girls in school uniform or in bikinis
  • Searches of the machine showed he had searched online for ‘teen jail bait’

 

A decorated policeman caught with thousands of pictures of young girls on his computer – some of them naked – was today spared jail.

Metropolitan Police Constable Adam Holbrook, who was based in Waltham Forest, was found with 3000 pictures of underage girls on his computer, of which 16 were of them posing naked or half naked.

Holbrook was arrested on August 7 last year following an investigation which found he had surfed sites which promoted themselves as sources of ‘jailbait’ images.

The 29-year-old had received a commendation award in 2007 for his work at a murder scene in East London where music producer Richie Holmes was shot dead.

Westminster Magistrates’ Court heard that a search of his laptop recovered the images, which included 16 classified as indecent.

Detective Constable James Low from the Met Police Paedophile Unit said the haul included girls aged between 13 and 16 posing semi-naked in the shower and a girl of about 14 embracing another girl while semi-naked on a bed.

They were deemed to be of level one, the lowest category of five.

‘It was based on what the girls look like, how formed they were and their faces in terms of determining how old they were,’ he told the court.

‘In my opinion 16 of these images were children.’

Of the rest of the photos, DC Low said: ‘They depicted more girls aged mainly 13 to 18 years old.

‘They were predominately schoolgirls, in school uniform at school, or bikinis at the beach. They were not indecent but they were in variety of settings and scenarios.’

During his evidence, Holbrook claimed that the images downloaded onto his machine without his knowledge while he was searching for legitimate pornographic material.

However, District Judge Nicholas Evans, dismissed this claim. He said there was no way that the officer did not know what he was doing.

‘Mr Holbrook has given evidence and I have said that I did not find it terribly convincing,’ said the judge.

‘[His claim that] “I am looking for 18 or 19 year olds which seek to pass themselves off as being younger”, is neither realistic or credible.

‘It is clear that if he is looking for, as he accepts he was, the underage look, he finds that interesting, simulating or whatever, and he is looking for that.

‘I don’t think he is looking for 18 or 19-year-olds that look younger, he would be likely to look at younger women.’

He added: ‘It does not matter where these images came from and when they were downloaded, it is sufficient in this case for the court to conclude that the defendant was browsing for such images of people under 16.

‘I am satisfied that he deliberately, knowingly brought these images onto his screen.’

The court heard that an analysis of Holbrook’s computer showed he was browsing a website with a name including the sick term ‘jail bait’, while his search history included terms such as ‘teen jail bait’.

During the trial, the court heard evidence from forensic computer expert DC Patrick Hyde. He said the site would be shut down under UK rules but continues running because it is based in the U.S.

Despite 36 complaints to the Internet Watch Foundation accusing the website of hosting inappropriate photos of children, Mr Hyde said it continued to operate because American legislation was different than that in the UK.

The court heard in a police interview, Holbrook submitted a statement which said he believed all the girls in the pictures were over 18.

Holbrook denied one count of making sixteen Level 1 indecent images of children.

He was ordered to pay a £640 fine, £450 in court costs and a victims surcharge of £15.

The officer was suspended from his duties with the Met, but after his conviction faces being sacked.

Mail online

Celebrities, politicians and VIPs had their sex attack files hidden from investigating officers by police top brass

Published March 20, 2013 by misty534

Image

 

  • Hundreds of documents on famous suspects marked ‘secret’ or ‘restricted’
  • Experts believe that celebrities like Savile protected above children abused
  • Police claim tight circle was to prevent any leaks to the media

 

Hundreds of files on celebrities, politicians and other VIPs accused of sex attacks and abuse were so heavily protected by senior police that investigating officers could not access them, it emerged today.

Information on high profile suspects was marked as ‘secret’ or ‘restricted’ and only available to a small number of officers – a system which may have helped prolific offenders like Jimmy Savile and MP Cyril Smith escape prosecution.

The approach to sensitive files was designed to stop officers from leaking information to the media, experts say.

The issue of detectives being unable to access relevant intelligence was highlighted in a report on the effectiveness of the Police National Database (PND) in the wake of the Savile scandal.

It came after complaints about Savile made to different police forces across the country while the TV presenter was still alive were not able to be shared by detectives.

Metropolitan Police Commander Peter Spindler confirmed that famous people were protected by high levels of confidentiality built into intelligence systems.

‘Any high-profile or sensitive case will be restricted on our systems because we are not going to let 50,000 people (Met officers and staff) across London read sensitive material about celebrities, politicians or other high-profile people,’ he told The Times.

‘We have had some officers and staff who were prepared to leak information to the media for payment and the mechanism to prevent that was to restrict access to that information.’

 

But police believe their new PND, launched in 2011, will help prevent similar errors in the future.

The system allows sensitive material to be located but accessed only with the right clearance.

 

Speaking after the report was published last week Chief Constable Mike Barton, the Association of Chief Police Officer’s lead on intelligence, said the current system is capable of being interrogated by any trained officer across the UK to ‘identify suspects, offenders and patterns of behaviour’.

The National Association of People Abused in Childhood said that police had put the protection of celebrities before children.

But spokesman John Bird added that he believes police are striving to ‘get it right in future’.

The first national shared database for police in England and Wales was set up in 2003, while a later system in 2006 allowed officers to search for intelligence but restricted access to sensitive records.

by Martin Robinson