Myles Bradbury

All posts tagged Myles Bradbury

Paedophile doctor Myles Bradbury urged to break silence over child cancer patients he sexually abused at Cambridge hospital

Published December 8, 2014 by misty534

Screen Shot 2014-12-08 at 17.06.31

The detective who quizzed ‘calm’ paedophile doctor Myles Bradbury has urged him to break his silence from his prison cell about other children he may have abused at a Cambridge hospital.

Detective Constable Claire Edwards has made a plea to the jailed medic to put families out of their misery after he refused to reveal all of his victims during three interviews with the officer.

At least 54 parents and members of the public have contacted the NSPCC since it set up a helpline for people affected by Bradbury, who was sentenced to 22 years in prison after he abused 18 children aged between 10 and 16 over a period of four-and-a-half years while working at Addenbrooke’s.

But Bradbury, described as “cold and calculating”, has refused to speak about the number of children he abused.

Det Con Edwards was the officer in charge of the investigation into Bradbury and questioned him three times as well as interviewing the vast majority of the families whose children were his victims.

She told the News: “He was calm in every interview. It would have been good for the families if he had spoken about who he had abused, but I interviewed him on three separate occasions and all he would say was his name and date of birth and answered all questions with ‘no comment’.

“I had to speak to the families who did not even know their children had been his victims. This has had a massive impact on the families. They thought their children were going through normal medical procedures. Once I told them what had really happened they were devastated.

“His sentence was massive and I spoke to the families after and they tell me they felt it was appropriate. They were happy about the sentence but they are still picking up the pieces. We’ll never know how many children he abused. The hospital has been incredible and done everything they could to help the investigation and worked closely with the families affected.”

The doctor filmed some victims using a spy pen and abused others behind a curtain while their parents were in the room.

Det Con Edwards said: “We found two pens with cameras. One of them we couldn’t retrieve any film from and the other had images on them but they were not deemed of a sexual nature but you have to ask why he would be filming children on a camera pen.”

Bradbury did plead guilty to 25 offences, including sexual assault, voyeurism and possessing more than 16,000 indecent images. All of the victims suffered from leukaemia, haemophilia or other serious conditions and some have since died.

Bradbury could face another court case as new allegations emerge and Addenbrooke’s could be hit with big compensation claims.

One victim’s family has told how they moved 200 miles to start a new life.

John Cameron, head of the NSPCC helpline, has encouraged anybody affected by Bradbury’s crimes to get in touch.

Call 0808 800 5000 or email help@nspcc.org.uk.

Paedophile doctor used ‘pen cam’ to film victims: 18 boys molested by consultant may be fraction of true number after series of blunders by officials

Published November 11, 2014 by misty534
  • Paedophile doctor Myles Bradbury used a spy pen while examining children 
  • Bradbury filmed young cancer patients with a pen which has a camera inside
  • Paediatrician was left free for 16 months to wage his campaign of abuse
  • Blunders by the police allowed Bradbury to destroy his sick library of films
  • One patient says Bradbury ‘focused on my private parts’ during examination 

Screen Shot 2014-11-11 at 00.22.49

Paediatric consultant Myles Bradbury used tiny video cameras hidden in pens to film himself abusing young cancer patients

A paedophile doctor used tiny video cameras hidden in pens to film himself abusing young cancer patients, it has emerged.

And the 18 boys as young as eight molested by paediatric consultant Myles Bradbury are probably only a fraction of his victims – as a series of official blunders gave him time to destroy his sick library of films.

The doctor was left free for 16 months to wage his campaign of abuse by the Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre (CEOP).

CEOP had been handed a list of 2,235 suspected British paedophiles in July 2012 by Canadian police – but did nothing for months.

Bradbury, 41, admitted in September to abusing 18 boys. He bought a DVD in 2005 from Azov Films in Canada.

The company advertised on its website ‘just legal’ and ‘naturist’ films. Many were clearly illegal – and were bought by paedophiles worldwide.

It was finally closed down in a Toronto police raid in the summer of 2012 and the concerned officers soon dispatched the names of customers globally.

The company was closed down in 2012 and the names of customers passed to police forces worldwide.

But it was only when CEOP was absorbed by the National Crime Agency last November that Bradbury’s name was passed to Suffolk police.

The force only raided the house he shared with his then pregnant wife, in Herringswell, three weeks later.

They discovered Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge had suspended him two weeks earlier after a child’s parents complained about an ‘intimate examination’.

His wife admitted he had thrown his laptop away at the same time.

Police traced Bradbury’s rubbish and unearthed the laptop but the memory inside had been removed, and with it potential evidence of countless more victims.

However a disc containing 16,000 images of abuse and two specially adapted spy pens were found in a garden annexe.

Each had a small camera above the clip. Footage was downloaded by plugging into a computer.

An inquiry has since been mounted into CEOP and police failures.

One patient examined – and possibly filmed by Bradbury – yesterday told the BBC: ‘He would ask to get me in the room on my own, and say I’m old enough to go in a room on my own.

‘And then he’d want to check me. Instead of checking just my joints, he’d want to check my whole body.

‘He’d make me strip down. He focused on my private parts.’

Speaking of the possibility that there were many more victims of Bradbury, Det Sgt John Ling of Suffolk police yesterday told the BBC: ‘Unfortunately the hard drive had been removed from the laptop.

‘I don’t know how many examinations he’s done, so I don’t know how many possible cases there are of live abuse by him.

‘So how many movies of examinations were on that hard drive we’ll never know.’

In Canada, Det Sgt Kim Gross, who leads the Toronto child exploitation team, spoke of her dismay at how CEOP in London had ‘dropped the ball’.

Addenbrooke's Hospital, in Cambridge, suspended Bradbury after a complaint about an 'intimate examination'

Addenbrooke’s Hospital, in Cambridge, suspended Bradbury after a complaint about an ‘intimate examination’

Det Sgt Gross said: ‘If I had failed that badly I would walk away from the work and have someone replace me.’

She added that all officers investigating potential paedophiles should follow a simple checklist.

She said: ‘Number one – we will look to see if they have access to children.

‘Then their occupation. Do they have access to other children? Are they parents? Are they involved in organisations that service children?’

A Suffolk police spokesman said: ‘Before a search warrant could be applied for, an intelligence picture of each individual had to be built to ensure… any action was proportionate and thorough.’

Niel Sears

Child abuse search warrants ‘refused on age of information’

Published October 5, 2014 by misty534

_78000053_hi012644238

Delays in a police force receiving details on child abuse suspects from the UK agency tackling such abuse online, has led to search warrants being refused, it has emerged.

Bedfordshire Police said it tried to search homes as part of the global child exploitation sting Project Spade.

But magistrates refused permission, saying the 17-month delay meant the information was too old, police said.

Former child protection head Jim Gamble called it “ridiculous”.

The Judicial Office refused to comment.

Toronto Police in Canada gave the Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre (CEOP) details about 2,345 UK suspects in July 2012 after they were caught buying suspect videos online.

‘Foolhardy and risky’

But the images were graded as the lowest risk and were not passed from CEOP onto local police forces for more than a year.

That decision is currently the subject of an investigation by the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC).

Since then high profile abusers have emerged from these suspects, including a Cambridge doctor who preyed on terminally ill children and a Southend teacher who filmed his pupils undressing.

The BBC has learned 153 suspects from Project Spade come from the East of England, according to figures from seven out of eight of the region’s police forces.

Project Spade investigations

Police force How many suspects identified by CEOP? What happened next?
Bedfordshire Police 15 No prosecutions so far. Two cases ongoing
Cambridgeshire Police 24 Investigations carried out on eight suspects, but no further details released
Essex Police 35 Five charges against a fireman, three against a bus driver over indecent images. One suspect teacher found dead
Hertfordshire Police 25 Five people arrested and bailed, including a nursery worker and two teachers
Norfolk Police 23 Ten people charged with offences including making and possessing indecent images. Occupations include an antiques dealer, a mechanic and a lorry driver. Five people so far convicted
Northamptonshire Police 13 No arrests, but one suspect questioned over another investigation
Suffolk Police 18 One suspect apaedophile doctor. Another man charged, one man bailed and another released. Five men out of the country. One man already jailed for a rape. Four suspects outstanding
Thames Valley Police No information provided No information provided

In Bedfordshire three warrants were refused “due to the age of the intelligence and the timescale difference of when the force received the information”, police said.

Hertfordshire Police said five cases had not progressed “due to the age of offences and lack of supporting evidence”, but it has yet to say whether it was refused search warrants.

Jim Gamble, who ran CEOP between 2006 and 2010, said magistrates’ decisions to refuse warrants apparently on the basis of the time delay , were “almost unbelievable” and “ridiculous”.

“There’s no denying there was a huge error at CEOP, in part due to the huge pressure that staff there are under,” he said.

_77750446_hi023910203

Paedophile doctor Myles Bradbury emerged from a list of “low risk” suspects

When would a magistrate refuse a warrant?Paul Allen, from the Magistrates’ Association, said in many cases search warrants are refused because the magistrate has either not been given enough information or the cases are too old.

“The older it is, the less likely magistrates are to grant it,” he said.

“For example, if it was a drugs case and officers came to me requesting a warrant a month later, it’s very likely the drugs would no longer be at the house.

“Magistrates are quite within their rights not to grant a warrant unless further information shows that what they are looking for is going to be in the house.

Grey line

“But it’s foolhardy and risky for magistrates to ignore cases on the basis of them going stale.

“Experience shows it is never just once that people offend, they gravitate from online viewing to offline doing.”

Regarding the Bedfordshire warrants, he said the force should “seriously revisit and seek alternatives if possible”.

Bedfordshire Police has declined to comment further.

A spokesman for the Judicial Office, part of the Courts and Tribunals Judiciary, said it does not comment on individual cases. Thames Valley Police was asked how many suspects from the CEOP information were within its force area and what actions were taken, but did not provide the BBC with the information.

BBC

Paedophile doctor Myles Bradbury: Hospital ‘failed’ victims

Published October 2, 2014 by misty534

_77750446_hi023910203

Doctor Myles Bradbury admitted abusing boys with cancer

The parents of a boy who was sexually abused by a paedophile doctor have strongly criticised a hospital for failing to protect their son.

Myles Bradbury, 41, of Herringswell, Suffolk, abused boys in his care while working at Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge, between 2009 and 2013.

One of his 18 victims, in an exclusive BBC interview, said the knowledge he was abused made him “feel sick”.

The boy’s father has called for a government inquiry into the crimes.

The boy, now a teenager, and his parents are the first of Bradbury’s victims to speak to the media.

Bradbury is currently on bail awaiting sentencing after he pleaded guilty to 25 offences against 18 boys, including sexual assault and making more than 16,000 indecent images.

A boy who was sexually abused by Myles Bradbury said the knowledge he was abused made him feel sick

A blood cancer specialist, he had worked at Addenbrooke’s Hospital for five years.

The boy’s mother said: “If you want to work as a dinner lady you have to have a check done to see if you’re harmful to children.

“This doctor has got away with it and so much more could have been done, and should’ve been done.”

His father said: “These kids should have been looked after from day one, the hospital should have looked after these kids and offered counselling for them, and as of yet that hasn’t come forward, I’m afraid.

“I think they’ve handled it quite poorly to be fair. We’ve been told to contact the NSPCC – a charity.”

Keith McNeil, chief executive of Cambridge University Hospitals, which runs Addenbrooke’s, said: “As I have previously expressed, Dr Bradbury’s abuse has shocked and saddened everyone who works at the Trust.

“As chief executive, I would like to again offer my sincere apologies to the patients and families affected. The team here at the trust is working hard to offer support to our patients and families, and will be responsive and flexible as to how we do this to best meet their needs on an individual basis.”

“I would urge any patients or their families who require support or have concerns to stay in touch with the team here, and we will do everything we can to support them.”

Both parents have expressed concerns that Bradbury had worked at a number of other hospitals across England, and said they feared there were other children who might have been abused.

“The government needs to do a full inquiry into Myles Bradbury to look at where he’s been working and seeing what he’s been up to,” the boy’s father said.

A Department of Health spokesman said: “We await the outcome of the urgent investigations already under way at Addenbrooke’s and expect that all findings will be acted on quickly, so that everything possible is done to avoid appalling crimes like this happening again.”

Speaking about his hospital appointments with Bradbury, the boy said: “Me and Myles used to get on quite well, he would be quite chatty, I didn’t really mind going to hospital to see him that much.”

He said he felt “quite comfortable” with the doctor: “You felt you knew him.”

However, as he got older, the boy said things changed.

_77750551_hi023920465(1)

Bradbury was a paediatric haematologist at Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge

“I got to an age where I started going in on my own and I had to get checked regularly, which I thought was a normal thing. That’s when I started feeling a bit uncomfortable.

“I don’t know why he felt the need to check my genital place every time,” he said.

“I just thought it was just normal… I didn’t know any better.”

He said he did not mention the examinations to his parents for that reason.

The boy’s parents said at first they found Bradbury a “charming, very nice man”.

“We thought he was there to give our son the best treatment possible,” his father said.

Bradbury was suspended from Addenbrooke’s Hospital, where he was working as a paediatric haematologist, after a complaint about his behaviour in November last year. He was arrested in December.

_77752123_77751006

“When we got the phone call to say that this was going on I was just utterly shocked by it,” the boy’s mother said.

“It’s the most shocking thing. You take your child to the hospital to be checked over medically, and you don’t expect him to be abused by a very highly thought-of paediatric doctor.”

The boy’s father said they always asked their son what had happened when Bradbury had examined him alone, but added: “He didn’t say a lot.

“I had inklings before and I asked him what had happened, and he sort of brushed it under the carpet,” he said.

“You know, you just think, ‘I wish you’d told me at the time because we could have done something about it’.

Miles Bradbury timeline

1996: Graduated with an MB ChB degree from the University of Birmingham in 1996

2004 to 2008: Temporarily employed as a registrar between 2004 and 2007 at Birmingham Children’s Hospital and then as a consultant

November 2008: Began working at Addenbrooke’s Hospital. Was the clinical trials lead for paediatric haematology and oncology. Also held clinics four times a year at hospitals in Colchester and Ipswich between 2008 and 2013

July 2012: CEOP alerted to Bradbury buying suspect videos off the internet

27 November 2013: Information shared with Suffolk Police – the same day the first complaint about Bradbury’s behaviour was reported to Addenbrooke’s. He was subsequently suspended from the hospital. An investigation is under way to find out why the Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre (CEOP) took 16 months to share suspicions about Bradbury with police

18 December 2013: Police arrest Bradbury

15 September 2014: Bradbury admits abusing patients

18 September 2014: The National Crime Agency, which took over CEOP, refers its handling of information about Bradbury and other potential paedophiles to the Independent Police Complaints Commission

“Obviously he was so embarrassed about it he didn’t know what to do. No other doctor had treated him like that.”

Both parents are critical of the hospital, saying someone there should have had an “inkling” about Bradbury’s activities.

“I think more should have been done,” the boy’s mother said.

The family, they said, were trying to come to terms with their trusted doctor’s abuse of their son, but his mother said she felt “a lot of guilt”.

“The guilt is still there, that how could I have let that happen to my boy? What had happened was just totally devastating.

“I’ll never forgive him,” she said.

The boy’s father added: “I really feel that I’ve let my boy down… I will always have that in my mind for the rest of my days.”

Their son said he hoped that once Bradbury was sentenced he would be able to move on with his own life.

“I don’t know how to cope with it all to be fair. Hopefully, once I get some help it will be done and over, and I won’t have to think about it ever again.

“It’s always playing on the back of my mind and it makes me a bit sick really to think what he was doing was wrong,” he said.

“He was doing it for himself, not for my health.”

BBC News