Newcastle

All posts tagged Newcastle

Teenager ‘obsessed’ with watching child porn had 3,000 sickening images

Published February 11, 2015 by misty534

download

A TEENAGER who confessed he was “obsessed” with watching images of children being abused has been spared jail.

John King had almost 3,000 sickening pictures and movies when police came to his home after a tip-off in December 2013.

The 19-year-old told detectives what they would find on his computer when they arrived at his door, and admitted he had been viewing such images since he was just 12.

Prosecutor Paul Rowland told Newcastle Crown Court: “He said, during the course of police interview, child porn had become an obsession with him.

“He accepted he had last viewed such imagery on his computer that day.”

King, of Glencourse, East Boldon, pleaded guilty to making and possessing 2,879 illegal images of children. The pictures and video clips ranged from the most serious to the least serious categories.

Judge Simon Hickey sentenced him to a community order for three years with supervision, sex offender treatment programme requirements and a sex offenders’ prevention order for 10 years.

King must sign the sex offenders’ register for five years.

Judge Hickey said: “You immediately admitted what you had been doing, and immediately admitted how long you had been doing it. You were a child yourself when you started looking at such images and continued to do so, which is sad in the extreme.

“Imprisonment, while richly deserved, would not address the problem. No-one would help you, no-one would stop you.”

Vic Laffey, defending, said King has never been in trouble before and was of “exemplary” character.

Mr Laffey said: “His reaction on arrest was relief, he knew this day was coming.

“This is one of those cases where I can say, with some confidence, this young man will never appear before a court again.

“He acknowledges the impact and shame he has brought upon his parents.”

Mr Laffey said King has co-operated with the authorities since his arrest and will continue to do so.

Paedophile continued working at school despite admitting ‘sexual attraction to young boys’

Published November 10, 2014 by misty534

Lewis-Nainby

Lewis Nainby was told to leave a junior football club in Newcastle, where he worked as a coach, after two boys reported being abused during a trip in the mid-1980s

A sports coach who abused children continued working at a school – despite admitting his attraction to young boys.

Self-confessed paedophile Lewis Nainby was told to leave a local junior football club, where he worked as a coach, after two boys reported being abused during a trip in the mid-1980s.

Newcastle Crown Court heard Nianby, who was a sports coach at Seaton Burn High, Newcastle, then referred himself to a psychiatrist for help.

He admitted the assaults which took place in the 1980s, reports the Newcastle Chronicle.

During the trip, Nainby had awoken a teenage boy while touching his genitals, a Judge was told.

The boy gathered his belongings and ran from the room reporting the incident to a member of club staff.

After the trip, parents were informed and Nainby was asked to leave the club.

However, despite parents and Seaton Burn High being aware ofallegations facing Nainby at the time, no criminal complaint was made.

After retiring, Nainby worked as a volunteer football coach and exam invigilator on a casual basis at the school.

A spokesman for Seaton Burn College said: “On the day the allegations were made he was immediately suspended by school principal Alison Shaw and he has not been in the school since or had any contact with the pupils.”

He pleaded guilty to four counts of sexual assault in Newcastle Crown Court.

Nainby, of Southward, Seaton Sluice, had abused two boys on a number of occasions asking them if they would like to sit on his knee and drive his car.

Sue Hirst, prosecuting, told the court Nainby’s victims waited almost 30 years to speak out about their concerns after they learned he was still coaching youngsters in May 2013.

Katherine Dunn, representing Nainby, told the court he had not reoffended since his psychiatric treatment in 1985 and had dedicated his life to charity work, working with a hospice in the North East.

Judge Deborah Sherwin, passing sentence, said: “You had been seen in the showers wrapped in a towel but it’s not clear to me whether any adults were made aware at that stage of your actions.

“We’ve seen reference to your medical records, in October 1985 you sought help and we were also told you have told those about you of the allegations, and stopped being a football coach at the time but you continued to be employed by the school until your retirement.”

Nainby was handed a two year jail sentence, suspended for 18 months, and ordered to sign the sex offenders register.

He will also have to take part in the sex offenders treatment programme.

Will Metcalfe

Newcastle social worker in charge of vulnerable children was a ‘predatory paedophile’ court hears

Published October 22, 2014 by misty534

JS35441154

Brian Tansey was a residential social worker at special schools in Newcastle and Washington when he allegedly subjected boys to horrific sex attacks

A senior social worker trusted to look after vulnerable youngsters at special schools was a “predatory paedophile” who subjected two boys to brutal sex attacks, a court heard.

Brian Tansey was a residential social worker at schools in Newcastle and Washington when he allegedly abused two “troubled” youngsters.

Married grandfather Tansey, 69, denies carrying out the sex attacks at Feversham School, in Walbottle, Newcastle and Washington Hall School, in Washington, between 1984 and 1991.

Prosecutors claim he targeted two boys he was meant to be looking after because of their vulnerability.

One of the victims told how he was repeatedly attacked by Tansey in the staff room and staff bedrooms at the school in Washington and claimed he told him “This is how you can earn pocket money”.

Newcastle Crown Court heard the alleged victim, now 43, tried to report what happened to him at the time but wasn’t believed.

The man is now serving life in prison and gave evidence against Tansey amid heavy security in the courtroom.

Prosecutor Paul Greaney QC told jurors they should not dismiss what the alleged victim claims happened to him simply because he has had a difficult life.

Paul Greaney QC, prosecuting, said: “It’s a fact that predatory paedophiles commonly prey on vulnerable children with difficult backgrounds.

“You should not reject what he says because of the matters which make him an attractive victim.”

The court heard Tansey, who has four grown up children and seven grandchildren, has no previous convictions and appears to have lived a “decent and respectable life”.

He had been a chiropodist until becoming a social worker in his late 30s and was also a brother of an Anglican order and had done work for St John’s Ambulance.

Mr Greaney said: “To the outside world, in the mid 1980s he was a thoroughly decent man.

“It’s rational to suggest and emphasise, where a man has reached the age of 69 without criminal conviction and has done good work all of his life, it’s not likely he is a rapist of children, which is what the prosecution accuses him off.”

However the prosecutor said “something cynical lurks” beneath the outwardly respectable man.

And he said the alleged sex attacks had compounded the difficult starts to life the boys suffered.

Most of the youngsters at the two schools were in local authority care and had emotional and behavioural problems.

Tansey was working at Washington Hall School as a senior residential social worker.

One of the alleged victims attended the school between the ages of 12 and 14 and had a reputation for aggression and lying.

Mr Greaney said: “That may have marked him out as someone who was unlikely to be believed and who might be abused without much risk of comeback.”

Tansey was put in charge of looking after the boy and began abusing him, it is claimed.

The court heard he visited the youngster in his bed and subjected him to a painful attack.

Mr Greaney said: “Nowadays we would describe that as rape and that’s precisely what it is.

“He forced himself on a boy aged 12. He was crying because of the pain.

“The defendant told him this is how he could earn pocket money.”

The prosecution say the attacks were repeated and the victim said Tansey appeared to derive pleasure from inflicting pain on him.

Mr Greaney added: “The first complainant will say he tried to tell people but they did not take him seriously.”

The alleged victim told jurors he still has flashbacks to the attacks and said he turned to drink and drugs to “help him forget”.

He told of one of the attacks in the staff bedroom at the school.

He said: “I started crying and he just pushed my head into the pillow so I would not scream.

“That was not the only time he did it, he kept doing it at every opportunity he felt like it.

“It happened nine times in the staff room and staff bedroom.”

Tansey started working at Feversham School and is accused of attacking another vulnerable young boy there when he was 11.

It allegedly began on a school holiday in the 90s, during which unit leader Tansey is said to have attacked him in bed.

Mr Greaney said: “The boy describes the pain as horrific.

“He says the defendant told him he would harm his family if he told anyone.”

Within months he did complain and police interviewed Tansey, who claimed the boys had tried to pull his boxer shorts down as part of “boyish bravado”.

He admitted giving the boys wine but denied any sexual wrongdoing and the complaint went nowhere at that stage.

The court heard the alleged victim has also reported the alleged attack to probation officers over the years.

He has also racked up criminal convictions and has spent time in prison, the court heard.

Tansey, of Retford, Nottinghamshire, denies five counts of buggery and one of indecent assault.

The trial continues.