North Yorkshire Police

All posts tagged North Yorkshire Police

Police probed on paedophile claims

Published January 6, 2015 by misty534

IPCC

An investigation into why North Yorkshire Police delayed acting on information about potential paedophiles is focusing on 25 individuals who were named in intelligence, according to the police watchdog.

The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) said the 25 names were supplied to North Yorkshire Police by the National Crime Agency (NCA) arising out of Project Spade – a Canadian investigation into individuals suspected of accessing indecent images of children from a video production company.

North Yorkshire is one of three forces under investigation over alleged failures to act in relation to the Project Spade intelligence which was passed on by the Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre (Ceop), now part of the NCA.

The others are Essex and North Wales.

The IPCC inquiry began after Essex Police referred itself to the commission following a delay in acting on an intelligence package from the NCA in November 2013 which identified now-deceased teacher Martin Goldberg as a potential paedophile.

Goldberg, who worked at Thorpe Hall School in Southend, was found to have hundreds of images of children on his computer when he was discovered dead at his Essex home the day after police had called on him.

Following the Essex referral, the IPCC wrote to chief constables of all police forces in England and Wales to ask whether their force received Project Spade material from the NCA and if so to review the way they treated the information.

As a result, the police watchdog received referrals from North Yorkshire and North Wales Police.

In a statement, the IPCC said: “Information currently indicates that 25 individuals, believed to be resident in the North Yorkshire area at the time, were named in the Project Spade intelligence and that there were delays in acting on the intelligence received until late September 2014.

“North Yorkshire Police has confirmed that 17 individuals have now been arrested and bailed, four have been sent to other forces to deal with, two had previously been arrested on other relevant offences, one was dealt with other than by way of arrest and one is now deceased.”

IPCC commissioner Kathryn Stone said: “How police deal with child abuse is rightly of great concern to the families of those involved and society in general. It is vital that our investigation should examine how North Yorkshire Police dealt with the intelligence given to them by the NCA and what actions they took.

“We will be conducting a thorough and comprehensive investigation into this matter.”

The IPCC also outlined the terms of reference of its investigation into North Yorkshire Police. These include whether the force replied properly to requests from the NCA for updates on what they had done with the intelligence and what action NYP took based on the information passed to it by the agency.

The commission outlined the terms of reference of its Essex Police investigation last month and has yet to publish similar details about the inquiry with respect to North Wales Police.

The IPCC has also received a referral from the NCA relating to a failure to send out Project Spade intelligence received in July 2012 to UK police forces until November 2013.

Figures obtained by the Press Association last year showed that more than 200 suspects are still being investigated after information was first passed to Ceop by Canadian police in July 2012.

Controversy was sparked when it emerged that the tip-offs included information about disgraced Cambridgeshire medic Myles Bradbury as well as teachers Goldberg and Gareth Williams, who both secretly filmed children.

Williams, from Cardiff, is now serving a five-year jail term, but Goldberg was found dead a day after police first contacted him.

Following the death of Goldberg, 46, a search of his house was conducted and 7,257 indecent images of children that he had downloaded from the internet were found.

In addition, 1,468 images that appear to have been created by Goldberg were discovered, which included 465 images depicting nudity that appeared to have been taken or recorded at Southend Leisure and Tennis Centre swimming pool changing rooms.

A further 75 depicting nudity that appear to have been taken or recorded by Goldberg at Thorpe Hall School boys’ changing rooms were also found.

Wakefield Express

Jimmy Savile investigation: Police force apologises to victims of paedophile star and one of his friends for ‘missed opportunities’

Published December 18, 2014 by misty534

Screen Shot 2014-12-18 at 10.34.15

North Yorkshire Police has admitted there could have been enough evidence to prosecute the broadcaster while he was still alive

Police have apologised to victims of Jimmy Savile and one of his friends after concluding that officers missed opportunities to properly investigate the two men over alleged child abuse when they were still alive.

North Yorkshire Police made the apology after an investigation into the activities of Savile and the former mayor of Scarborough, Peter Jaconelli, concluded there would have been enough evidence to consider prosecuting them.

The force said 35 people had come forward with allegations about the pair.

A spokesman said 32 cases related to Jaconelli, between 1958 and 1998, and included allegations of indecent assault, inciting a child to engage in sexual activity, gross indecency and rape.

In the case of Savile there were five reported offences, from 1979 to 1988, which ranged from sexual assault to rape. Two people claimed to be victims of both men.

The spokesman said: “Sufficient evidence has been uncovered to suggest that, had they been alive today, files would have been submitted for consideration by the Crown Prosecution Service regarding potential criminal charges against Peter Jaconelli and Jimmy Savile, relating to young people.

“However it should be noted that it has not been possible to pursue those lines of inquiry which would have involved interviews with the individuals concerned, during which they may have disputed the allegations against them.”

North Yorkshire Police launched Operation Hibiscus in February after a BBC Inside Out programme prompted 35 people to come forward with reports of sexual abuse by Jaconelli and Savile.

Assistant Chief Constable Paul Kennedy said: “The findings of Operation Hibiscus clearly suggest that there would have been sufficient evidence from 35 individual victims for the Crown Prosecution Service to consider criminal charges against Peter Jaconelli and Jimmy Savile had they been alive today.

“The available information indicates that, historically, the police missed opportunities to look into allegations against these men whilst they were still alive.

“Today, North Yorkshire Police apologises to the victims who made the brave decision to come forward during the past 18 months.”

Mr Kennedy said: “It is important that the victims have been able to make their allegations heard and that their cases have been comprehensively examined by the police regardless of the passage of time.

“It is a matter of great regret that, from the outset of the investigation, there was no prospect of true justice being achieved as the suspects are deceased.

“However I hope the victims have gained a measure of closure from knowing that matters have now been investigated as fully as possible by North Yorkshire Police.

“It is never too late to report information to the police and seek help and support. Nobody should suffer in silence.”

He said the investigation team had contacted the victims to explain the findings of the inquiry and to ensure they have continued access to all available support as victims of sexual abuse.

In April North Yorkshire Police voluntarily referred itself to the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) in relation to the Savile and Jaconelli allegations.

It subsequently referred other related matters to the IPCC.

The commission has already announced that one serving detective sergeant has been served with a misconduct notice to advise him his conduct is subject to IPCC investigation.

The officer has been interviewed by an IPCC investigator and the inquiry is continuing.

The commission referred matters relating to whether records on Savile and his associates were properly disclosed to Her Majesty’s Inspectorate of Constabulary (HMIC) and IPCC back to North Yorkshire Police for consideration.

In relation to this, Mr Kennedy said: “A comprehensive investigation into these matters has now been completed by the Professional Standards Department.

“It concluded that there was no evidence of misconduct but there was evidence of organisational failure, with a number of lessons to be learned which have now been rectified for the future.”

He said: “Whilst there were failings to report some relevant information to the HMIC and IPCC, there is no evidence to suggest North Yorkshire Police failed in its responsibility to support Operation Yewtree, the national investigation concerning Savile.”

Mr Kennedy said his Professional Standards Department was continuing to investigate further issues relating to the Jaconelli and Savile investigation in Scarborough during the 1980s.

Savile was a frequent visitor to Scarborough throughout his life and had a sea-view flat in the resort. Jaconelli was a well-known local businessman.

Aled Blake