paedophile rings

All posts tagged paedophile rings

Rape victim reveals how her foster father and his army pals abused her as a child

Published February 15, 2015 by misty534

Esther-Grace-abuse-sexual-assault-558231

AN ABUSE victim has told how she was routinely raped by “wild beasts with cut-glass accents” at an Army barracks when she was a 10-year-old girl.

Esther Grace claims she was driven to the base by her paedophile foster father, a former serviceman, to be abused along with other children by groups of smartly dressed officers.

She recalled how one well-spoken officer abused her several times in a sparsely decorated bedroom.

Esther’s claims, now being investigated by police, come only weeks after Scotland Yard announced it was extending the scope of its inquiries into historical VIP paedophile rings to include military bases.

She told the Sunday Express: “They were like wild beasts and the fact that I was just a child seemed not to make any difference whatsoever.

“These were men, mostly in ­uniforms, with cut-glass accents and an authoritative manner about them.

“Yet what they did to me was the worst thing imaginable and it ­happened on numerous occasions.”

Esther, who has waived her right to anonymity, grew up in Buckinghamshire.

She said she suffered constant physical and sexual abuse by her ­foster father, who made her pregnant when she was 11 then forced her to have a “backstreet abortion”.

The mother of two, now 46, described her horrific upbringing in a 2009 book Nowhere To Belong under the pen name Harmony Brookes.

Now she has come forward and told Thames Valley Police how her foster father, who we have agreed not to name, took her from their home to a military base in southern England during the late 1970s.

She claims he was part of a paedophile ring that included military top brass who abused children at the barracks.

Esther said: “I would always be driven at night when it was pitch black outside so I could never get my ­bearings.

The first time I remember being brought to the base was when I was about 10.

It was in the countryside and very cold and sterile but I can’t remember anything more than that.

“When I got there, I’d be ushered through to living quarters where there would be groups of men standing around. Most times there would be other children as well.

“I remember one man in particular. He was tall, seemed to be well-­educated in the way he spoke and acted and smelled of tar soap.

“He would abuse me in a small bedroom that, like the base, seemed very draughty and dull.

I’d see him on other occasions at other places outside the base. He knew my foster father who was a former military man.

“The abuse on the base happened four or five times a year until I was in my mid-teens.”

Esther, who now lives in Cardiff, gave an impassioned speech outside Parliament last month during a ­memorial to those killed by sexual and physical abuse.

The gathering was organised by the White Flowers campaign and attended by MPs Simon Danczuk, John Mann, John Hemming and Sarah Champion.

Deborah Corcoran, of Abney Garsden solicitors, who is representing Esther, said: “Our client was a ­vulnerable child in the care system who was ­brutally abused.

“She complained to the authorities at the time but nothing was done.

The authorities missed opportunities to uncover the abuse. We are looking into legal action on our client’s behalf for a whole catalogue of failings.’’

A Thames Valley Police spokesman said last night: “Officers are in the early stages of the investigation.”

The Ministry of Defence declined to comment because a police investi­gation is under way.

James Fielding

Police vow to arrest even more child sex suspects

Published May 23, 2013 by misty534

 

Image

 

Police are preparing to arrest more men suspected of  being  child sex predators

Police are preparing to arrest more men suspected of  being  child sex predators.

GMP Assistant Chief Constable Steve Heywood told a conference held to mark the first anniversary of the jailing of the Heywood and Rochdale grooming ring to ‘expect a lot more convictions’.

He said around 550 officers were working on Operation Doublet, GMP’s bid to stamp out street grooming, adding it was a bigger priority than gun crime.

It emerged during last year’s trial – which saw nine men jailed for a total of 77 years for the rape and sexual abuse of vulnerable young girls in Rochdale and Heywood – that the gang may have contained up to 50 members although many were only identified by nicknames.

And ACC Heywood told delegates at the conference in Middleton last week that following the case, grooming and sexual exploitation were now the force’s number one priority.

He said: “We are dealing with an avalanche of child sex cases.

“Expect a lot more convictions.

“I currently have more detectives working on child sexual exploitation than I have on gun crime.

“For a place like Greater Manchester, as with any conurbation where there is a level of violence and organised criminality, that’s quite a statement.

“With that level of investment in resources a lot more convictions will come.”

Rochdale Chief Superintendent Annette Anderson added: “We have very good knowledge of the people that are committing these types of offences and abusing children in Rochdale.

“We are determined that we will disrupt and prosecute when necessary and identify children and young people at risk to give n From page one them appropriate intervention and support.”

An 11-week trial at Liverpool Crown Court last year heard Shabir Ahmed, Kabeer Hassan, Abdul Aziz, Abdul Rauf, Mohammed Sajid, Adil Khan, Abdul Qayyum, Mohammed Amin and ringleader Shabir Ahmed, who were all from Rochdale and Oldham, groomed their victims with free taxi rides and kebabs and plied them with vodka before subjecting them to horrific sexual abuse.

Police are now working to construct cases against other potential offenders in the town going back to 2003.

The conference also heard that authorities have overhauled the way they deal with reports of child sexual exploitation.

Social workers, police and the Crown Prosecution Service were criticised in the wake of last year’s case for not treating the victims’ claims seriouly enough.

But Rochdale council chief executive Jim Taylor said changes had been made since.

He added: “The sexual exploitation of children is an appalling crime that is carried out by the worst kind of criminals.

“Unfortunately, we cannot stamp out the vile instincts of the people who carry out these awful acts.

“But we can make sure our own house is in order, make sure the right systems are in place and adopt an approach that will reassure parents that we are doing everything we can to protect children.

“To the criminals that want to harm our children, I have one unequivocal message, ‘We will find you, and we will stop you’.

 

Manchester Evening news

Police probe at least 54 more evil child sex grooming gangs

Published May 19, 2013 by misty534

Image

Officers are preparing to bust the biggest paedophile network ever seen in the country, with police set to swoop within days

At least 54 evil child ­grooming gangs are being investigated by police.

It comes as officers in the North of England are preparing to bust the biggest paedophile network ever seen in the country, with police set to swoop within days.

Our disturbing figures can be revealed after reporters contacted every force across England and Wales, but the true number is likely to be much higher as many failed, or ­refused, to reply.

Child exploitation came into focus this week when seven paedophiles were convicted of sexually torturing girls as young as 11 in Oxford.

Thames Valley Police missed several opportunities to rescue the girls from the abuse over six years.

The same force has now revealed it is  investigating 14 more networks – with some gangs even using women to help groom the youngsters.

Chief constable Sara Thornton said: “We are looking at double figures for the number of suspects.”

She went on: “I think the vast majority are men but there are a couple of women who might have been facilitating exploitation.”

As a result of our inquiries, police chiefs admitted to at least 54 investigations.

Out of 43 forces in England and Wales, 31 responded to our request for information.

Child-Grooming-Gangs-Map-1897014

Seventeen said they had ongoing probes, including Merseyside, which would only say it was investigating a “number” of grooming rings.

Three – Staffordshire, Norfolk and Humberside – refused to tell us how many investigations they had, and 12 did not get back to us.

At 14, Thames Valley has the largest number of probes, followed by six in Lancashire – where one of the worst paedophile gangs was caught in Rochdale last year.

Nottinghamshire and Greater Manchester said they were looking into five alleged sex cells each.

Steve Heywood, chief constable at Greater Manchester, admitted child exploitation was now the force’s “number one priority”.

The Met Police in ­London said its officers were probing four gangs.

Three probes are active in South Yorkshire, Northants and Suffolk.

There are two each in Surrey, Northumbria and West Yorkshire. South Wales, Kent, West Mercia, Devon and Cornwall and Cambridgeshire each have one investigation.

Staffordshire, Humberside and ­Norfolk would not say how many investigations they had.

West ­Midlands, Sussex, Wiltshire, North Yorkshire, Leicestershire, Hampshire, Avon and Somerset, Gloucestershire, Cheshire, Cleveland, Dorset and ­Dyfed Powys did not reply

There are no investigations in Derbyshire, Warwickshire, North Wales, Hertfordshire, Gwent, ­Cumbria, Durham, Gloucestershire, Lincolnshire, Bedfordshire, Essex.

The figures come as 10 men are preparing to stand trial this week accused of exploiting a girl over a four-year period in High Wycombe, Bucks.

All deny the charges.

Last month we revealed six men were held in Peterborough, Cambs, in a new case with potentially the biggest number of victims by one gang.

It is one in a worrying string of already known child sex cases.

Earlier this year seven men were charged in Newham, East London, for allegedly raping a vulnerable girl who was under 16.

And five men were charged with rape in Stockport, Greater Manchester, last year after a probe showed they had 39 potential victims.

by Justin Penrose & Vicky Smith

Met police rape and child abuse units to merge as part of force shakeup

Published April 27, 2013 by misty534

Sapphire command will have separate rape and child abuse teams as wells as 100 extra officers to tackle sexual exploitation

Image

Sapphire command’s Detective Chief Superintendent Mick Duthie. He says there have been discussions about whether the new unit should retain the name Sapphire. Photograph: Carl Court/PA

 

Scotland Yard’s rape command, Sapphire, is to be merged with the child abuse unit as part of a larger overhaul within the Metropolitan police.

Sapphire had a troubled past before it came under centralised command, with detectives at a unit in Southwark found to have pressured victims to drop charges to boost performance figures.

An extra 100 officers are being brought in to tackle exploitation including paedophile rings and grooming gangs.

The head of the central Sapphire command, Detective Chief Superintendent Mick Duthie, said officer numbers dealing with sexual exploitation would be boosted: “It is in response to the children’s commissioner’s report that said significant numbers of young people are at risk of being exploited.

“I think [the risk] has always been there but we have not been as aware of it as we are now.”

This follows a case in Rochdale where nine men were jailed in May last year for grooming and abusing vulnerable teenage girls.

The majority of the 100 extra officers will be of constable rank, and the unit will lose Duthie, who will become head of homicide next month, and one superintendent.

Duthie said officers would retain their specialisms in the types of crime they investigate. “We’ve made a conscious decision that this is a high-risk area, we need to have dedicated officers investigating dedicated types of crime.

“There will be separate rape teams and separate child abuse teams.”

High-profile investigations such as Operation Yewtree, the inquiry triggered by abuse allegations against Jimmy Savile, will come under the new command.

Questions have been raised over whether the new unit should abandon the name Sapphire because of trouble in the past.

In February in its latest report on the Southwark rape unit the police watchdog found that women had been pressured to drop rape allegations.

The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) said that these included a woman who had made a claim against Jean Say, who later went on to murder his two children.

The watchdog also found that Scotland Yard had failed to hold gross misconduct proceedings against three officers involved in the case of repeat sex offender Kirk Reid. Two of the officers had in fact been promoted.

Reid was found guilty of attacks on 25 women over a 12-year period in the Balham, Clapham and Tooting areas of south-west London.

It emerged during his trial that police did not arrest him until four years after he was first named as a suspect and a separate IPCC inquiry was carried out into apparent blunders and failings.

The Met said the officers had been dealt with as appropriate and that changes had been made to the way the force dealt with sex crime.

Duthie said: “We’ve certainly had our ups and downs and unfortunately it seems that the downs get reported.

“We’ve spoken to our partners about whether we will change the Sapphire name and some are saying get rid of it, some are saying a lot of people know what Sapphire does and if you lose that you will lose some victims’ ability to contact police.”

A Metropolitan police spokeswoman said that the name would not necessarily fit because it is associated only with rape investigations.

 

Telegraph