Pontypool

All posts tagged Pontypool

Dead Labour MP’s name given to paedophile probe

Published March 23, 2015 by misty534

Screen Shot 2015-03-23 at 17.21.40

THE name of a dead Labour MP has been passed to an investigation into an alleged paedophile network, it has emerged.

The Church of England said it had passed an allegation about Leo Abse to Operation Fernbridge, a Metropolitan Police inquiry.

The Sunday Times reported that Mr Abse, who died in 2008 aged 91, was being investigated by police on suspicion of child abuse.

The newspaper said documents from South Wales Police revealed that claims against the long-serving politician were being examined by another force.

South Wales Police had no information about the story, and Scotland Yard would not confirm or deny whether it was involved.

The newspaper said the Church of England had passed Mr Abse’s name to detectives from Fernbridge, a Metropolitan Police inquiry into an alleged Westminster VIP paedophile network.

A Church of England spokesman said: “An allegation was made to a priest, who passed it on to us, and we passed it on to Fernbridge.”

Mr Abse was MP for Pontypool from 1958 to 1983, and then Torfaen from 1983 to 1987.

The Scotsman

Parents’ anger after internet paedophile found to have worked with Pontypool pupils

Published October 2, 2014 by misty534

Screen Shot 2014-10-02 at 21.19.39

FURIOUS parents voiced their frustration today after finding out an internet paedophile caught with 929 indecent images had been in close contact with nursery pupils.

The concerned parents gathered outside George Street Primary in Pontypool to confront the school authorities after teaching assistant Simon Williams admitted downloading hundreds of vile images of children, when he appeared in court yesterday.

The 39-year-old was bailed after admitting having 929 files, including 219 category A images – the highest possible.

Families criticised the school for breaking the news in sealed letters handed over to their children on the day Williams appeared in court.

One parent, Richard Darch, 35, said: “I feel handing out letters on such a sensitive subject was a wrong way of handling the situation.

“This is what has caused a lot of anger among parents.”

Williams, of Blaendare Road, Pontypool, was immediately suspended after being caught in a UK wide child porn crackdown.

George Street Primary headteacher, Julie Wood, said in the letter the charges did not relate to any children at the school or the Torfaen community.

Torfaen council interim head of education service, Dermot McChrystal, told the parents outside George Street Primary there was no evidence anything untoward had happened at the school.

Mr McChrystal said: “He presented himself as someone who was very good with children, he was very supportive and kind in class and we had no reason to believe that anything happened in school that was untoward, put someone at risk or that anyone was harmed. We have no evidence of that whatsoever.”

Gwent Police Insp John Davies told the parents: “A large number of images were found on the computers belonging to this individual, all of which had been downloaded from the internet.

“There was no suggestion that anything had come from any schools or anything locally.

“There had never been any concerns about Mr Williams’ behaviour in the three months that he was at this school towards your children.”

But Mr Darch told the Argus: “There is no way of knowing this man hasn’t been alone with children.”

His wife Peggy said she hoped he would be given custody when he is sentenced on October 24.

Another parent Laura Perham, 30, said: “I do trust the teachers. That’s why I have left my daughter there.

“I think the teachers have gone about it the best way that they could.”

Williams is understood to have worked at a special needs resource unit at Pontymoile Primary School beforehand.

Education chiefs are to hold a further meeting with parents in the next few days to discuss the matter further.

Mr McChrystal added in a statement: “Simon Williams appeared in Cwmbran magistrates’ court on Wednesday and pleaded guilty to possession of indecent images of children.

“This is an extremely serious matter which was part of a national police investigation. Due to the ongoing legal proceedings we could not disclose detail about this to parents while the court case was active.

“Mr Williams was suspended immediately the allegations emerged and the Torfaen schools where Mr Williams has worked have co-operated fully with Gwent Police as they conducted their investigations. The disclosure of further information on this case is a matter for the police and the Crown Prosecution Service, however, we have spoken to some parents at the school today and will update parents if further information is forthcoming.”

South Wales Argus

Pontypool paedophile rapist, Harry Spragg, 79, jailed

Published July 17, 2013 by misty534

images (3)

 

A PONTYPOOL pensioner who went missing before being charged with sexual offences against a young girl has been jailed for ten years.

Harry Spragg, 79, pleaded guilty to two counts of rape, two counts of engaging in sexual activity with a child and three counts of taking indecent photographs of a child – all relating to a girl under 13.

Passing sentence at Newport Crown Court on Friday, Judge William Gaskell said: “You are a man of previous good character who is now 79.

“She was wholly unaware of the implications of what you did to her. But as she is getting older and having a greater realisation of what you did it is likely to become an oppression for her.

“What you did in my judgement will have a really long term effect on her.”

This case came to court not long after Gwent Police issued a missing persons appeal stating that Spragg had been reported missing from his home on November 8, 2012.

Defending Spragg, Mary Parry Evans has said the episode had been “ so out of character it was unbelievable.”

“You can’t explain this behaviour,” she said.

“This is a 79-year-old man who has a completely clean record.”

Mrs Parry Evans said there had been stresses in his life around the time of the offences but that those did not mitigate for what he had done.

She said: “He knows this is all his own fault.”

Spragg, of Laburnum Drive, New Inn, was sentenced to ten years for each of the rapes, two years for each of the offences of inciting a child to engage in sexual activity and three years for each of the counts of taking indecent photographs. All the sentences were set to run concurrently.

 

South Wales Argus