rape

All posts tagged rape

Rape by boy, 6, among ‘child crimes’ in North Wales

Published December 29, 2014 by JS2

Screen Shot 2014-12-29 at 23.45.18

The suspected rape of a girl by a six-year-old boy was one of 28 sexual offences involving children aged under 10 recorded in the last four years by North Wales Police.

Figures show that 160 crimes involving under-10s were recorded by the force since 2011.

However, anyone under the age of 10 cannot be legally held responsible for a crime.

But the offence or allegation of a crime is still recorded by police.

The figures, released after a Freedom of Information request, show that a six-year-old boy is believed to have raped a girl under 13 in 1997. The offence was registered in 2013.

It was among four rapes recorded by the force in the last four years – the three other rapes involved suspects who were all aged nine.

One of those took place in 1971, although it was recorded this year.

BBC

Ministry of Defence pays out £2m to settle cadets’ sexual abuse claims

Published December 29, 2014 by JS2

British army military cadets.

The Ministry of Defence has paid out more than £2m in out-of-court settlements over the past three years as a result of claims of sexual abuse against young people within the ranks of the cadet forces.

The allegations included sex abuse rituals performed by teenage boys on younger cadets in their charge, as well as the case of a cadet who was raped and gave birth to her abuser’s child.

Eight payouts, totalling £544,213, were made this year, according to records released in response to a freedom of information request from the Guardian seeking figures for payments for alleged sexual abuse within the Army Cadets, Combined Cadet Force, and Air Cadet Organisation.

The data, which was recorded in a way that did not distinguish between the various cadet groups, shows that £1,475,844 was paid out in five payments in 2012. Payouts in 2013 totalled £64,782 and there were no payouts in 2011.

While some of the settlements reached in the last few years were made to adults for abuse perpetrated when they were children, some are understood to relate to much more recent abuse claims.

Rebecca Sheriff, a senior solicitor at Bolt Burdon Kemp, who has acted for several clients in claims arising from abuse suffered in the Army Cadets at the hands of military staff, said: “It is common practice for sex offenders to seek out positions of authority in organisations such as the Army Cadets, and vulnerable children need to be safeguarded from this risk. It is terrible that often these children have joined the cadets with a view to a career in the armed services, which they are unable to pursue as a result of abuse by people that they should have been able to trust.”

The mother of a boy abused by two older teenage cadets said she had yet to receive an apology from the cadet authorities although they agreed to an out-of-court settlement of just over £23,000.

The abuse of the boy happened at a cadets’ weekend in East Anglia and allegedly involved the two older boys going into a dormitory over the course of a number of nights and lying naked on top of the younger cadets, putting their penises in the boys’ mouths. One youngster was allegedly made to drink coffee laced with urine. She reported the abuse to police, who, she says, interviewed the alleged perpetrators nine months later. They were not charged but were given a warning.

The mother said: “If something like that goes on and is not right then somebody needs to take responsibility, and the cadets had to pay what they paid to compensate for all the hurt … But the two lads have got away with it, they just received warnings, and it was put on file. [The police] said it was bullying and intimidation of a sexual nature – because it wasn’t anything like a rape.”

She added: “I believe that they had been doing it for a while. It makes me sick and saddened inside. It really, really, does. I was told that the cadets had their own internal investigation but I’m not aware of what happened.”

In the period between the incident being reported to police and action being taken to detain the boys, her son, she says, was chased by one of the abusers near his home and subjected to intimidation on Facebook.

“My son had wanted to go into the army to learn a trade and a career. He loved it beforehand, so that was a massive disappointment to him as well. But immediately afterwards he was left with so much guilt. That was what hurt him the most. He was afraid of his own shadow and began to get really, really, angry and became withdrawn and afraid. The effect that it had on my boy, it was so sad for me to see.”

Another out-of-court settlement involved a claimant who was sexually abused by an adult cadet instructor while she was a member of the group. The abuse started when she was 14 and progressed to rape, which led to her becoming pregnant and giving birth to the abuser’s child. After the abuse, she suffered from chronic post-traumatic stress disorder, chronic dysthymia (a form of depression) and a number of complex psychological problems. The MoD admitted liability at an early stage and settled the claim for £210,000.

The settlements made in 2012 include a successful claim for £900,000 by four people who were abused when they were young members of the Army Cadets in Harborne, Birmingham.

Severe sexual abuse was perpetrated by two of the cadet force instructors behind the closed doors of an army hut, rifle range, and at camp. Lawyers for the victims said that abuse was openly acknowledged within what they called “a permissive atmosphere” and appeared accepted as normal.

One of the instructors, Peter Cooper, was convicted of buggery and indecent assault in September 2007 in relation to one of the claimants. At the time of his arrest he was a serving police officer with the West Midlands constabulary. The other instructor is now dead.

An MoD spokesperson said: “We take any allegation of abuse extremely seriously. All adult volunteers undergo enhanced criminal record checks and are made fully aware of their responsibility to protect children from harm. Any suspicion of bullying, harassment or abuse will be dealt with immediately and any allegation of a criminal nature is handed to the police. This is reinforced throughout all safeguarding training.”

Another freedom of information request by the Guardian revealed that 12 allegations – of which 10 were referred to the police – were logged in 2014 by the child protection officer employed by the Army Cadets (which has 46,000 teenage cadets and 8,500 adult volunteers in the UK). The child protection officer has logged more than 36 allegations of sexual abuse since 2011.

£3,000 reward offered to catch paedophile who raped 11-year-old Crawley girl

Published December 18, 2014 by JS2

Screen Shot 2014-12-18 at 10.41.59

A REWARD of £3,000 has been offered to help track down the man who raped an 11-year-old girl as she walked home from school.

Crimestoppers has put forward the financial incentive for information which leads to the man’s arrest and conviction.

The young girl was attacked as she walked along Balcombe Road, in Pound Hill, at a busy time of day in broad daylight.

Her attacker grabbed her and dragged her into a secluded footpath – between Blackwater Lane and Balcombe Road – where he pushed her into bushes and raped her.

The shocking attack happened on or around September 22, although the exact date is uncertain as the child was so traumatised she only found the courage to report it recently.

She first told a member of staff at her school and the attack was then immediately reported to Sussex Police.

John Wright, chairman of Crawley Neighbourhood Watch, is urging parents to make sure their children do not walk alone wherever possible.

He said: “We always say to children, and adults as well, that they shouldn’t be walking alone.

“Go home with a friend. Always be in pairs at the least and be vigilant.

“It was truly horrific what happened to that poor girl.

“The area immediately around that footpath is built up with homes and Balcombe Road is a major road so someone must have heard or seen something.

“There must be a driver, a cyclist, pedestrian or resident who noticed something out of the ordinary that day.

“They need to come forward. No matter how insignificant it seems, that information could be the last piece of the jigsaw needed to catch this man.”

Forensic investigators have scoured the area searching for DNA clues to help identify the attacker.

Officers have also carried out house-to-house inquiries.

The girl and her family are now being supported by specially trained officers.

An e-fit of the suspect has been put together, with the help of the victim.

He is described as being aged about 40, with ginger and grey hair, and gingery stubble. He was wearing a black fleece, a beanie hat and a knee-length, khaki-coloured coat.

Angela Hollinshead, Crimestoppers’ regional manager for Surrey and Sussex, said: “This man needs to be caught as soon as possible.

“We need to be sure that no other child falls victims to such an horrific attack. Our phone line and anonymous online form are accessible 24 hours a day.”

To qualify for the reward of up to £3,000, information must be passed to the independent crime-fighting charity Crimestoppers.

Anyone with information on the rape is urged to call Crimestoppers on 0800 555111 or go online to http://www.crimestoppers-uk.org

Although the attack occurred in the daytime, Pound Hill South and Worth borough councillor Bob Lanzer said this week that money could be found to ensure that the footpath where the attack happened is better lit, given how secluded it is.

Man accused of raping one-day-old baby boy to stand trial

Published December 4, 2014 by JS2

STUART Young, 37, is also charged with raping a girl aged between six months and five years old and sexually abusing a nine-year-old girl.

GP25497601

A MAN is to stand trial charged with sexually abusing a baby – when he was just a day old.

Stuart Young, 37, faced the allegation during a hearing today at the High Court in Glasgow.

It is claimed that on various occasions between April and July last year at properties in Edinburgh, Young abused the child and did rape him.

The boy is said to have been aged between a day and three months at the time.

Young is also accused of raping a young girl in Edinburgh. The allegations spans November 2008 and December 2013.

The girl was aged between six months and five years old. Young then faces a separate charge of assaulting her.

The indictment also claims Young sexually abused a nine year-old girl in 2013 in the capital.

Young faces a further charge of assaulting a woman and another allegation under the Children and Young Persons Act.

Young, of Sighthill, Edinburgh, denies the charges.

Judge Lord Turnbull set a trial due to start next April. The case is expected to last around seven days.

Young’s bail was continued until then.

EXCLUSIVE: Charities claim that the satanic abuse of children is rife

Published November 9, 2014 by JS2

CHILDREN have been the victims of satanic abuse including rape, murder and even the production of so-called snuff films which depict killings, two leading charities claimed last night.

DJ Jimmy Saville raped a girl of 15 during a satanic ritual

DJ Jimmy Saville raped a girl of 15 during a satanic ritual

One campaigner said he had heard of babies born but never registered, so they would not be missed when killed by secret paedophile networks.

The existence of such terrifying cults is said to have gone unchecked in Scotland for decades, with victims facing scepticism and outright disbelief.

Many incidents took place years ago but experts are sure ritual abuse rings still operate.

Police Scotland said yesterday they were taking the allegations “incredibly seriously” and would investigate any complaints.

The claims will put the Scottish government under intense pressure to announce a public inquiry into historic child sexual abuse, with Scotland now the only part of the UK without such a review.

The disturbing claims of snuff films and widespread ritual abuse made by two charities came to light during a lengthy investigation by the Sunday Express.

Last year we revealed that shamed DJ Jimmy Savile raped a girl aged 15 in 1975 during a satanic abuse ritual, while cloaked paedophiles looked on.

Kate Short, of Kilmarnock-based charity Break The Silence, said: “We have had quite a lot of people who have been abused as part of a cult or a paedophile ring.

“In the worst cases they have been forced to watch the making of snuff movies.

“It’s the extreme, barbaric type of terror that can lead to serious personal disorder.

“Victims are so brainwashed they don’t dare to speak out.”

Charity Izzy’s Promise is based in Dundee.

Project co-ordinator Joseph Lumbasi said: “Babies are aborted for sacrifices.

“There is pornography, sick films.

“Horrific things are happening and nobody is getting caught.”

by Paul Murray

Sexual abuse victims urge others to come forward

Published November 3, 2014 by JS2

12010523.jpg-pwrt2

SPEAKING OUT: Donna Slater, right, with her aunt, Marion Bradley

A WOMAN who was raped by her father is calling on victims of sexual abuse to come forward to put their attackers behind bars.

Retired diesel fitter George Slater, who raped his daughter and sexually assaulted his sister-in-law, was jailed last month for 13 years for a catalogue of historic offending.

Now Donna Slater and Marion Bradley have waived their right anonymity to urge other victims of sex offenders to come forward.

Ms Slater, 43, who lives in Chester-le-Street, County Durham, and has a 12-year-old son and a 14-year-old daughter of her own, said: “We have suffered all lives for this. I want people to know what kind of a man he is. He should be named and shamed.

“He does not deserve to come out of prison. I hope he rots.”

Ms Slater said the abuse at the hands of her father has left deep emotional scars.

She said: “My life has been a mess, mentally and physically. I have tried to harm myself and relationships have failed because of it.

“I made numerous attempts on my own life.”

“I want other people to come forward. I know it has made me feel. Once you do you realise you are not the only person out there.”

The Northern Echo:
BREACH OF TRUST: Slater with daughter Donna

later, 72, of Ouston, was jailed following a trial at Newcastle Crown Court last month.

He was convicted of one count of rape and ten charges of sexual assault against his daughter between 1974 and 1985.

He began molesting her when she was a little girl and raped her when she was 11.

Slater abused his wife Anne’s little sister, Marion, over a two year period between 1967 and 1968 and began when she was aged eight.

Ms Bradley, 55, who is a great grandmother-of-one, with two grandchildren and four children, and lives in Dunston, believes publicity following the revelations about sexual abuse carried out by Jimmy Savile made police take their case seriously.

She said: “I think it helped a lot. It is a hard thing to do, but I hope other people in our position will also come forward

“His victims were very young when it happened. He is a pervert. A sick pervert.”

Northumbria Police Superintendent Lisa Orchard said officers always takes allegations of rape and sexual offences seriously and urges victims to report abuse.

She said: “Their welfare and safety is paramount and we work closely with victims to make sure they receive the help and support they need as investigations are progressed.

“I’d like to commend the bravery of the victims in this case during what was an extremely difficult time for them. I hope this sentence gives others the confidence to come forward.”

‘Holy man’ found guilty of sexually abusing 12-year-old girl

Published October 9, 2014 by JS2

_78119982_childrapistholymancharanjit2_lewis

Charanjit was found guilty by a majority verdict at Belfast Crown Court

A “holy man” has been convicted of sexually abusing a girl who was brought to him with a stomach complaint.

The man, known as Charanjit, 46, of Twinburn Gardens, Newtownabbey, County Antrim was found guilty at Belfast Crown Court.

The jury returned a majority verdict after over five hours of deliberation.

The charges against him included two counts of rape, sexual assault of a child and inciting a child to engage in sexual activity.

They relate to a period spanning from 30 September 2012 to 1 February 2013.

He is due to be sentenced next month.

During the trial, the victim, now aged 14, told the court that she was brought to Charanjit, as he was known in the Indian community, for treatment as he was considered a holy man or healer.

She said that the man diagnosed her as having a stone in her stomach.

The victim said that she visited him twice and was sexually abused on both occasions.

The defendant denied the charges throughout the trial. However, the jury rejected his version of events.

The judge remanded Charanjit in custody until he is sentenced in November.

BBC