SOPO

All posts tagged SOPO

Saffron Walden paedophile jailed for further crimes

Published July 15, 2013 by JS2

Untitled-1

A predator who had already been convicted for child sex offences has returned to jail after offending again.

Paul Taylor, 24, of Maynards Lane, Little Sampford, was jailed at Chelmsford Crown Court on Friday, July 12, for breaching a Sexual Offences Prevention Order (SOPO) and engaging in sexual activity with a child.

Taylor, who committed the offences between July and August of last year, was the subject of a SOPO after previously being convicted for engaging in sexual activity with a child.

DC Mark Harrington, investigating officer, said that the 24-year-old ignored the terms and conditions imposed on him by the order.

He said: “Taylor is a prolific offender and a predatory individual when it comes to young teenage girls.

“The only logical sentence was a significant term in prison. Hopefully while in prison he will have every opportunity to engage in a programme of rehabilitation.”

Taylor was given one year for breaching his order, and a further three years for two counts of sexual activity with a child.

He has also been given a lifetime SOPO with enhanced conditions.

 

Safron Walden News

Paedophile, 51, who amassed child porn collection so horrific judge couldn’t bear to look at it all is still SPARED prison

Published July 11, 2013 by JS2

article-2360202-1AC30088000005DC-807_306x423

  • Andrew Townsend of Manchester downloaded hundreds of photographs
  • But he was allowed to walk free from court by Judge Lindsey Kushner
  • She looked at a sample of the 1,400 images before sentencing Townsend
  • Could not bear to watch one video featuring extremely graphic content

A paedophile who downloaded child pornography so horrific that a judge could not even bear to watch the evidence tapes has been allowed to walk free from court.

Andrew Townsend, 51, of Hulme, Manchester, downloaded hundreds of vile photographs but was allowed to walk free after the judge ruled he would not learn his lesson behind bars.

Judge Lindsey Kushner, who looked at a sample of the 1,400 images before sentencing him, said she could not bear to watch all the contents of one of the videos featuring extremely graphic content.

article-2360202-0031F0B400000258-454_306x423

Judge Lindsey Kushner ruled he would not learn his lesson behind bars

Townsend admitted 11 counts of downloading and sharing the pictures and videos after police raided his home in April last year. The judge said that what he did was not a victimless crime.

Judge Kusher told him: ‘You must be aware the subjects of these images are not indifferent to what is happening to you. The public must be made aware of just how infectious this material is.’

But the judge, sitting at Manchester Crown Court, rejected the option of sending Townsend to prison and instead gave him a three-year community order.

The court was told the rigorous programme, supervised by specialist probation officers, would not be available to him if he went to prison.

Judge Kushner said: ‘I’m not doing this because I’m frightened of sending someone to prison.

‘This is a successful programme with proven results. It is not to get people through the system quicker or to save money.’

VILE PAEDOPHILE SPARED JAIL

Community order: Townsend admitted 11 counts of downloading and sharing the pictures and videos after police raided his home in April last year. The judge said that what he did was not a victimless crim

The court was told Townsend co-operated immediately with police when they seized computers, telling them where to find the images.

Judge Kushner described Townsend, who works in a bank, as a ‘quiet little man’ leading a humdrum life. He was diagnosed with HIV in 2001, and after a period of depression became more reclusive.

He began downloading relatively mild child porn and then progressed to hardcore images, sharing them with other people. His defence lawyer said Townsend was relieved when he was caught and was genuinely ashamed.

The court was told the likely 12 months he would spend in prison would mean he would not be able to get the help he needed to stop him re-offending.

Townsend was banned from unsupervised contact with under-16s and restrictions were placed on his use of the internet and computers.

Mail Online

Pervert filmed children in Aberdeen shopping centre toilets

Published July 6, 2013 by JS2

traffic-sign-depicting-children-12

 

A PERVERT has been put on the sex offenders register indefinitely after installing a video camera in the family toilets of an Aberdeen shopping centre.

Tomasz Stozek, 35, who has previous convictions for sex offences, was jailed for 16 months and will remain on licence for a further 14 months.

Stozek, who was described as a prisoner in Aberdeen, admitted that between March 4 and May 12 at Union Square and elsewhere in Aberdeen he broke a Sexual Offences Prevention Order (SOPO) banning him from possessing or using any camera equipment.

He also admitted he recorded people, including children, in the Union Square toilets in Aberdeen, without their knowledge or consent.

Aberdeen Sheriff Court was told the footage lasted for 45 minutes and two women and two children were captured on film.

A spokesman for Aberdeen’s Union Square declined to comment.

 

By Karen Roberts

Child sex predator jailed for 7 years

Published July 5, 2013 by JS2

images (5)

 

 

A SEX predator who shot footage of a child victim in indecent acts wearing her school uniform has been  jailed for seven years and four months.

Paul O’Neill subjected the girl to months of abuse and rape after grooming her following discussions on sex with her and letting her watch pornographic films on his laptop computer.

O’Neill (48) got the girl, then aged 10 and 11, to perform sex acts and gave her instructions as he filmed some of the videos using his mobile phone.

Police computer experts later found 37 indecent videos of the girl along with a further eight images of the child on his laptop.

But they also discovered that he had been hunting on the internet for images of other children, using searches such as preteen sex and Lolita sex.

He was found to have a file of 17 indecent images of other children estimated to be aged between three and 14, which included sexual activity.

A judge told O’Neill at the High Court in Edinburgh that he had pled guilty to an “appalling” course of criminal behaviour.

Lord Uist said the sex offender had set about grooming his victim before taking part in “disgusting sexual acts” towards the child.

The judge told him that those who corrupted children in this way must expect serious punishment.

O’Neill’s downfall came after another girl went to his victim’s home to play with her friend and found a camera recording video in the bathroom.

She also spotted a mobile phone set to record in the bedroom where the girls were getting changed after she stayed over and concerned revealed what she had seen when she returned home to her mother, who reported it to police.

Police carried out a search at the house where unemployed O’Neill was living and found a camera and computers.

He was detained and during an interview with officers confirmed he had put a camera in the room where the girls would be getting changed for “just a cheap thrill”.

Advocate depute Martin Macari earlier told the court: “He accepted that he had watched pornography on the laptop and that there would ‘probably’ be images of people under 16, including images downloaded from the internet and some he had taken himself.”

He confessed that there would be photos and videos of his child victim in the bath or shower and when asked why he took the footage said: “I don’t know.”

He also admitted carrying out sex acts on the child victim and that she performed them on him.

O’Neill, of Braeside, Keith, admitted oral rape and other sexual offences against the girl between December 2011 and September last year and taking or making indecent photographs of children at a house in Moray.

Mr Macari told the court that during the abuse O’Neill had given the child a sex toy and filmed her with it.

The prosecutor said that while O’Neill had previous convictions for traffic offences, he had never been jailed previously.

Defence counsel David Moggach said O’Neill was offering no excuses for his conduct.

He said: “Looking back on it he says he became something he detested.”

O’Neill was placed on the sex offenders’ register indefinitely.

 

The Northern Scot

Sixmilecross man sent explicit text messages to teenage girls

Published July 4, 2013 by JS2

images (1)

A 40-YEAR-OLD Sixmilecross man who sent sexually explicit texts to three girls under the age of 16, was spared from going to prison because he did not make an attempt to meet his victims. Sean McElhatton (40) of Main Street agreed to spend three years on Probation during which time he will participate in a Community Sex Offenders group work programme. He was also placed on the Sex Offenders register for five years. At Dungannon Crown Court on Friday, Judge Geoffrey Miller QC also imposed a five year Sexual Offences Prevention Order (SOPO) which prohibits McElhatton from having any contact or communication with any child under 18 years and remain under the direction of a Designated Risk Manager. He sent texts to three children between the ages of 13 and 16, with messages to two of the girls being of a sexual nature. He was convicted on charges of attempted to incite a child to engage in a sexual activity and two counts of harassment. He sent the texts between November 2011 and January 2012. Judge Miller stated that the content of the texts indicated that the defendant knew exactly what he was doing. Defence barrister Ian Turkington, instructed by solicitor Padhraic Cunningham, said his client’s abuse of alcohol had “desensitised him and allowed him to make the texts”. Mr Turkington pointed out that, at no stage, did McElhatton reveal his identity to his victims or arrange to meet them, which would have meant him receiving a prison sentence. Suggesting that he participate in the sex offenders programme, defence counsel stated the programme is endorsed by other judges. The court was also told McElhatton has been ostracised by the local community and his family because of his offending. Judge Miller said it was the duty of the court to make sure the issues regarding the offending were addressed. He added that a prison sentence would likely have been a matter of months and rhetorically asked whether that would have addressed the sex offending. The judge added that McElhatton had “acted entirely inappropriately” and there was an issue of an underlying sexual motivation. He also noted that the probation order and sex offenders programme would take a high level of commitment.

 

Ulster Herald

Paedophile from Grantham jailed and put on sex offenders’ register for life

Published May 29, 2013 by JS2

Savio-Salesian-College-in-Netherton-4026132

A paedophile who committed sex offences against three young girls has been jailed for 11 years at Lincoln Crown Court.

 

Barry Johnson committed serious offences against a young girl in the late 1990s before carrying out attacks a decade later on two other girls in the Grantham area.

Johnson, 50, formerly of Grantham but now living in St Giles Avenue, Sleaford, admitted a total of nine charges of sexual assault involving the three girls.

The offences took place between November 1997 and July last year.

Judge Michael Heath told him “The sentence reflects your overall criminality.

“This was for your own sexual gratification. The effects of what you have done are incalculable.

“You accept that you have a sexual interest in children and you recognise that you need professional help.

“The probation reports says you are a high risk of causing serious harm through sexual offending against little girls. I take the view that you are dangerous.”

Johnson was made the subject of an order banning him for life from having unsupervised contact with any girl under the age of 16.

He was also banned from working with children and placed on the sex offenders’ register for life.

The court heard one of the victims was just seven years old when Johnson abused her. The others were aged nine and 10.

Phil Howes, prosecuting, told the court that at first Johnson denied the allegations claiming he felt “sick to the stomach” and “disbelief”.

In a victim impact statement one of the girls said she felt “numb” and “sick” and could not move on with her life.

Mr Howes added: “He suggested the girls were lying.”

In mitigation the court was told Johnson had no previous convictions and had now admitted his guilt.

 

Grantham Journal

Paedophile loses plea to quash court ruling

Published May 28, 2013 by JS2

1179178671

 

APPEAL REJECTED: Kenneth Trotter, who is serving three years in prison, had his appeal against a Sexual Offences Prevention Order rejected by a judge and two magistrates.

A convicted paedophile described as an “exceptionally dangerous man” after he was jailed earlier this year has lost a legal challenge to have a court order quashed.

 

Kenneth Trotter, 78, who is serving a three-year jail term, had launched an appeal at Preston Crown Court against a Sexual Offences Prevention Order made last November at Blackpool Magistrates’ Court.

But his appeal has been rejected by a judge and two magistrates. Trotter, who was convicted and served a substantial prison sentence for numerous sex offences involving boys and young men in Australia, came back to live in Blackpool last May.

He was jailed for three years in January for twice breaching the SOPO order, which requires him to tell police of a change of address within three days.

He was not at Preston Crown Court when Judge Stuart Baker handed down the latest decision. As well as losing his appeal, Trotter will have to pay £3,000 towards the costs of the case.

His four grounds of appeal had been that his case was not properly conducted by a solicitor acting for him, an appeal against the conviction and sentence in Australia was pending, the application was an abuse of process because his appeal in Australia had not been determined and he therefore could not have a fair hearing here and that he was denied an opportunity at the Magistrates’ Court to give evidence.

But Judge Baker and the magistrates stated in their judgment: “Having considered all the evidence in the case we find that Mr Trotter’s behaviour while in Blackpool demonstrates that he will, if he can find a way to do so, avoid providing the police with a genuine address and he will try to create circumstances in which he can have access to young and probably vulnerable people, to give himself the opportunity to commit sexual offences against them.”

Trotter had voiced concerns that a ban on door to door sales would prevent him from continuing his business as a self employed sewing machine repair man. He also submitted the SOPO would effectively make him homeless, claiming every time the police became aware of where he was staying, or proposing to stay, pressure would be put on a landlord to try to prevent him taking the accommodation.

But the bench found the door-to-door ban was “entirely appropriate” and wouldn’t make it impossible for him to conduct his business.

The judge in January described Trotter as an “exceptionally dangerous man” when he gave him three years’ jail for the two offences of breaking the terms of an interim Sexual Offences Prevention Order.

 

the Gazette