suicide

All posts tagged suicide

Maths teacher and deputy head Martin Goldberg, 46, who was found dead at his home in Shoeburyness two weeks ago, the day after he was spoken to by police about images of naked teenage boys

Published September 30, 2014 by JS2

stg_martin_goldberg_dead_teacher1.jpg

Maths teacher and deputy head Martin Goldberg, 46, who was found dead at his home in Shoeburyness two weeks ago, the day after he was spoken to by police about images of naked teenage boys

A deputy head teacher who secretly filmed hundreds of pupils undressing in school changing rooms was not questioned by police for nine months despite intelligence to suggest he was a paedophile, it has emerged.

Martin Goldberg, 46, a maths teacher at the Thorpe Hall School in Southend, Essex, is thought to have taken his own life earlier this month, the day after police attended his home and questioned him about allegations he had bought indecent films featuring young boys.

When police searched his house following his death they discovered more than 400 voyeuristic films and still images of children undressing, taken using a secret camera hidden in his school, a swimming pool and local leisure centr

It has now emerged that Essex Police were tipped off about the unmarried teacher’s activities as early as November last year, but only questioned him for the first time three weeks ago.

The families of four youngsters identified in the secret films have been contacted by police and offered support, but at this stage there is no suggestion that Goldberg abused any of the children sexually.

Essex Police said the faces of the children in the other images were not visible or the footage was too poor for them to be identified.

An urgent investigation led by the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) has now been launched to determine why there was a delay in the investigation, and to ascertain if any of the secret recordings were made during the nine months he ought to have been on the police radar.

Nick Alston, the Police and Crime Commissioner for Essex said parents deserved an explanation about why detectives did not act on warnings about Goldberg sooner.

He said: “I am a parent and a grandparent, and I share the shock, concern and anger that people in our communities are feeling about Goldberg’s behaviour.”

He added: “I understand the original information from police in Toronto suggesting that Goldberg had purchased videos of naked boys several years ago was received by Essex Police in late November 2013.

“It is important that we understand why it took nine months for the force to act on this information. There may be valid reasons but we deserve an explanation.”

Canadian detectives are understood to have first contacted the National Crime Agency in London last November alerting them to the fact Goldberg had bought material from a foreign website which could contain images of naked male children.

The intelligence had been gathered as part of Operation Spade an international investigation led by police in Toronto into the activities of an online retailer based in Canada that was trading as a film distribution company.

The National Crime Agency then passed the details onto Essex Police, along with information about 35 other potential suspects in their area.

However despite the fact Goldberg was a teacher working with children every day, his case was not taken further until nine months later on September 9, when detectives visited him at his home in Shoeburyness.

According to Essex Police he was not arrested at the time due to a lack of evidence and officers were refused permission to search his home after a local magistrate rejected an application for a warrant.

The following day on September 10, police were contacted over concerns for Goldberg’s welfare and after attending his home found him dead.

An inquest into his death was open and adjourned, but it is understood he was found hanged.

Police yesterday confirmed that attempts had been made to the erase the hard drives on his computers and there was also evidence that a fire had been started in the property.

It is understood he used a camera hidden in a bag to film young boys undressing in the changing rooms of Thorpe Hall school, where he had worked for more than 20 years.

It had also been used at Southend Leisure and Tennis Centre swimming pool in Southend and two other unidentified locations.

Despite widespread anger over the apparent delay in investigating Goldberg, Essex Police steadfastly refused to discuss the matter, claiming as it had now been referred to the IPCC it would be inappropriate to comment.

However a police spokesman said: “It is important to stress that we have found no evidence of any other offences by Mr Goldberg involving these children. At this time there is nothing to suggest that he made inappropriate physical contact with any child.

“The school has co-operated with our investigation and we have also found no evidence to suggest that anyone else was involved in Mr Goldberg’s criminal activity. There is also no information that he shared any of these images or that anyone else was aware of his offending.”

The spokesman added: “Essex Police understands that this news may be extremely distressing to both parents and children and has set up a special number for people to call if they have any concerns or believe they have information that would assist the investigation.

“The priority for the police now is to support those affected and we are continuing to work with the school, Southend Borough Council, Essex County Council and others to provide that support and ensure that all appropriate action is taken.”

By Martin Evans

Student found hanged was ‘blighted’ by sexual abuse

Published September 23, 2014 by JS2

stream_img

Tyler Duchar-Clark was found in his halls of residence

An inquest has heard that a 19-year-old student from Essex took his own life because he struggled to deal with a sexual assault he suffered as a child.

Tyler Duchar-Clark, from Braintree, was found in his halls of residence at the University of Portsmouth on 2nd February this year.

The Coroner recorded a verdict that Mr Duchar-Clark took his own life while suffering severe long-term depression.

The TV and film production student had not been seen for about three days, he was discovered by a friend.

The Portsmouth inquest was told Mr Duchar-Clark had been suffering from severe depression since he was a child, following the sexual assault by two men which happened when he was 11 and which he still suffered flashbacks about.

Coroner David Horsley recorded a verdict that Mr Duchar-Clark took his own life while suffering severe long-term depression.

His father Paul Duchar-Clark said his son had struggled with depression since he was a teenager.

Saying that university had been a positive experience, he added: “He was the best I had known him for a considerable period of time, he seemed so happy in himself, I looked at him and thought ‘He’s a grown boy, a man’.”

Paedo takes cyanide pill in court and dies before being jailed

Published July 2, 2013 by JS2

Steve-Parsons-main_1756494a

 

A PAEDOPHILE convicted of having sex with a teenager took a fatal overdose of cyanide in the courtroom before he could be jailed.

Court staff and his family looked on in horror as Steve Parsons suddenly keeled over and had a deadly seizure.

The 48-year-old had moments earlier been found guilty of statutory sodomy of a 14-year-old girl.

He was about to be jailed for seven years – until he decided to impose his own death sentence in front of his own family.

Witnesses said Parsons pretended he was going to be sick, telling court staff: “I’m going to throw up.”

He walked to a court clerk’s table to get a sip of water.

At the time the judge was polling the jury after they had reached a guilty verdict after a three day trial in Maryville, Missouri.

Parsons took a sip of water and returned to his seat.

No one in the court saw him slip a cyanide pill into his mouth, but the well known business owner suddenly began arching his back and had a seizure.

Court staff tried to help Parsons but he went into cardiac arrest on the way to hospital.

He was pronounced dead at the Heartland Regional Medical Center in St. Joseph.

A later search of Parsons car revealed a scrap of paper with the name of a chemical company and a phone number.

The company confirmed to police that Parsons had placed an order of 100mg of cyanide and had it shipped overnight to his home.

A medical examiner confirmed Parson’s death was from cyanide poisoning.

Parsons well-known in the towns of Maryville and Stanberry as the owner of Parson’s Tyre and Service.

Gentry County Sheriff Darrin White was in court when Parsons collapsed.

He said: “It’s not common to see someone just fall over dead in the courtroom even though they’ve just been found guilty of a crime.

“I was quite surprised and disappointed and unhappy and sorry. Sorry for the victim, sorry for her family.”

Biggs says he has mixed feelings about Parson’s death.

Biggs said: “I suspect that it’s just more tragedy on top of tragedy.”

The Sun

Child sex charges driver found dead

Published April 10, 2013 by JS2

Image

A coach driver who was facing trial on child grooming charges has been found dead at his home in Lancashire.

 

David Hughes, 44, from Clayton-le-Moors, was accused of three counts of meeting a girl under 16 after sexual grooming and three counts of causing or inciting sexual activity with a girl aged between 13 and 17 while in a position of trust.

It is understood the allegations related to his job in which he drove youngsters.

His body was found at his home in Whalley Road on April 4.

According to reports, he had been the subject of derogatory comments made on Facebook ahead of his scheduled trial at Preston Crown Court.

A spokeswoman for Lancashire Police said: “At around 3pm on the 4th of April, police attended an address on Whalley Road in Clayton-le-Moors after a call was made regarding a concern for the safety of the occupant of the address.

“On entering the property, officers found a 44-year-old man deceased inside. The death is not being treated as suspicious and a file will be passed to the coroner.”

An inquest into his death has been opened and adjourned.