sussex police

All posts tagged sussex police

Victims of alleged sexual abuse at Brighton care home speak out

Published February 11, 2015 by misty534

Screenshot 2015-02-11 at 14.45.44

Victims of alleged sexual abuse at a children’s home in the 1980s claim social services told them they were “naughty” and “attention seeking” when they complained of attacks.

The Argus revealed the now-closed home at 251-253 Preston Road, Brighton, was at the centre of a police and local authority probe into a poor culture of care.

The allegations followed an investigation into claims of rape by a 14-year-old boy more than 30 years ago – a case that was eventually dropped by Sussex Police late last year due to a lack of evidence.

The young boy at the centre of the rape investigation – now a 43-year-old man – yesterday revealed details of what he called his “brutal” experiences.

He told The Argus: “There were two men that systematically abused me.

“They raped me, numerous times. I was only 14. I was told I should keep quiet or else. It was brutal, with kids being both sexually and physically abused. It was a nightmare.

“The abuse ended when I was moved to a home in Hailsham for one reason or another. It was perfect in there – a million miles away from what happened in Brighton.

“But what’s happened has ruined my whole life. I’ve had problems with drink, attempted suicide, mental health problems, drug abuse, the lot.

“I just hope if anyone reads this who also suffered, that it gives them the courage to come forward too.”

The man claimed his attacker would threaten him with violence if he ever considered speaking out against him.

He said: “I’ve had to try and bottle it all up, the memories of the home. I had no one to talk to when I was being abused, not even other kids.

“I knew of another child who was being abused at the same time as me but I couldn’t do anything.

“I was threatened that there’d be consequences if I told anyone what was happening.

“The pain of what happened has given me post-traumatic stress disorder.

“My partner and the kids have suffered with me through the years – but the police say I’m too vulnerable to go into the witness box and it was all dropped. It’s made me angry.

“I want my abusers and social services to pay for what they did to me and others.”

The man’s wife told The Argus: “I’m upset with the police because they were telling me not to speak to the press as they ‘wanted to keep a lid on it’.

“We only found out in the last few days that there would be no further action in my husband’s case – even though the police told you [The Argus] that the investigation was dropped in December. I’ve been told there are other children that have come forward too.

“The police said they’d do their best to get him counselling but we had nothing. It’s not acceptable. They’re saying it’s a brave thing that he’s done in reporting it to them but he doesn’t get his day in court to face his abusers.”

In 2013 two men, a 64-year-old and 68-year-old, were arrested on suspicion of raping the boy.

Police concluded there was “not enough evidence” to recommend a prosecution and the case was dropped late last year.

Another alleged abuse victim claims charges against her attacker were also eventually dropped because of a lack of evidence.

She said: “I was taken to Preston Road for the first time when I was 13. The neglect there was bad, but the worst of it was when they took me to a man who sexually abused me. He raped me.

“When I talked to social services about it, they told me it was because I was naughty. It wasn’t – I knew that. I was also told I was attention seeking.

“I know of three other kids who were also sexually abused. We used to confide in each other and run away. But we’d always be taken back and knew what was waiting for us when we did.”

The woman says she will “never forgive” social services for the abuse she suffered at the home.

She added: “A man was charged with abusing me but it was dropped, just like the rest of the cases.”

Councillor Geoffrey Theobald, leader of the Conservative group on Brighton and Hove City Council, was chairman of East Sussex Social Services during the time of the alleged abuse.

He said: “I can’t remember it [the home] at all. I can’t remember any allegations of that nature made during my time as chairman. I’m horrified of course that something like this might have happened.”

When asked whether police investigating allegations at the time would have liaised with the council, Coun Theobald said: “There were professional officers for something like that who were mandated to run the homes and deal with things like that.

“I have no idea. I was never told. You’ll have to ask the police.

“I really can’t answer anything to do with it because I know nothing about it. If I had known then I would have ordered a full investigation.

“There were lots of children’s homes in Brighton during that period but as far as I remember there were no other allegations at any other home during the time. I knew of none.”

Caroline Lucas, Green MP for Brighton Pavilion, said it was critical society learned from historic sex cases.

She said: “This means allowing every survivor the chance to be fully heard and giving professionals the chance to speak out too.

“This is at the heart of what I’ve been calling for as one of the group of seven MPs that secured the Home Office’s independent inquiry into historic abuse.

“I welcome the fact that the relevant agencies are meeting about this local case and there clearly needs to be a transparent process moving forward. Hopefully others will come forward too and get the proper support they deserve.”

Representatives from Brighton and Hove City Council and East Sussex County will meet Sussex Police tomorrow to discuss the new wave of allegations uncovered during the investigation into the alleged rape of the 14-year-old.

A spokesman from Brighton and Hove Council said: “The allegations referred to are in relation to a care home run by East Sussex County Council that closed in the mid-1990s, before the newly formed Brighton and Hove City Council took over responsibility for social services in the city on April 1 1997.

“As Brighton and Hove City Council has statutory responsibility for children’s safeguarding in the city, we will be involved in any investigations into allegations relating to events that have allegedly happened in the city, past or present.

“As the care home was run at the time by East Sussex County Council they also clearly have a role to play in any investigation.

“The people about whom the allegations have been made do not work for Brighton and Hove City Council or East Sussex County Council.”

By Ben Leo

Sussex Police shine light on suspected paedophile arrests

Published November 7, 2014 by misty534

Sussex-Police-Black-Logo.jpg-pwrt2

POLICE have explained why they did not arrest a number of suspected paedophiles after being tipped off following a national operation.

Earlier this year, Sussex and Surrey Police received 46 pieces of intelligence from the National Crime Agency and the Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre that led detectives to potential offenders.

Police executed a total of 35 warrants before the end of July – but have now revealed why further action was not taken in the other cases.

The reasons include insufficient evidence to prosecute and suspects already being identified by detectives before information was received from the national operation.

A spokesman for Sussex Police said: “In six of the cases, the Sussex Police Paedophile Online Investigation Team was already working on linked intelligence and suspects had already been arrested.

“In one other case, there was insufficient material to justify any enforcement action but it has been recorded as intelligence.

“It was assessed that there was insufficient evidence to show that the material constituted any criminal office.

“Two of the Sussex cases pointed to the same person being responsible and in two other cases there was insufficient evidence to make an arrest on the day of the warrants being executed.

“But items were seized and forensic inquiries are continuing.

“In two Surrey cases, arrests had already been made before the referrals were received.”

Thirty-one arrests were made following the warrants, including 24 people who lived in Sussex, for a range of offences relating to the possession and sharing of indecent images of children.

Assistant chief constable Stuart Cundy, of Surrey and Sussex Specialist Crime Command, said: “We have identified and arrested those suspected of using the internet to access indecent images of children.

“This operation aimed to protect children who are, or might be, at risk of sexual exploitation.

“Those who access indecent images should know the internet is not anonymous and we will pursue you.”

BREAKING NEWS: Two Selsey men charged for indecent images

Published August 6, 2013 by misty534

Image

A SECOND Selsey man has been charged with making indecent images of children.

Warren Hilts, 39, of Mill Lane, Selsey, has been charged with 21 offences.

He is due to appear at Worthing Magistrates’ Court next Tuesday (August 13).

The charges follow an investigation by the Paedophile On-Line Investigation Team (POLIT) of Sussex Police.

He is charged with nine counts of distributing indecent videos and images of children, a further five counts of making indecent images, six attempts to facilitate or arrange commission of child sex offences online and one possession of extreme pornography.

This comes after former Selsey resident David Ward, 38, was charged with six offences relating to a total of 24 indecent images of children.

Ward, who now lives in Southampton, is due to appear on bail at Brighton Magistrates’ Court on Thursday, August 22.

He was arrested in Selsey on Tuesday, August 21, 2012, and was charged on Wednesday, July 31, 2013.

A police spokesman said there are no allegations of any contact offending and none of the images relate to local children in either case.

 

JIMMY SAVILE COPS IN ‘COVER-UP’ OVER PROBE SUSSEX FORCE BLASTED

Published March 18, 2013 by misty534

 

Image

 

A POLICE force shamed over its investigation into paedophile Jimmy Savile is hiding the details of its bungled probe.

 

 

Officers from Sussex Police are said to have told one of Savile’s alleged ­victims that “no one would believe her” and his lawyers would make “mincemeat” of her.

A damning report last week by Her ­Majesty’s Inspectorate of Constabulary ­described “other” ­conduct as “neither usual nor good police practice”.

The report also said it was “unclear” why Savile had never been interviewed ­during the 2008 probe, ­Operation Baseball.

But, unlike other bodies which failed to bring Savile to justice, the force has ­refused to release the full details of an internal review into the case.

Surrey Police and the Crown Prosecution Service, (CPS), which also made ­mistakes, have published full reports.

But Sussex Police has released just a four-page summary and refused to hand over the file to the Daily Star Sunday.

It says that because allegations against Savile are being investigated by the ­Metropolitan Police “it cannot be clear at present” what effect disclosures would have on the inquiry.

Last night Shadow Crime and Security Minister Diana Johnson said as much ­detail about Savile as possible should be made public.

“A single overarching inquiry modelled on a serious case review led by child protection experts is needed,” she said.

The victim in the Sussex case reported an allegation of sexual assault against Savile in 2008.

She said that in 1970, when she was 22, the TV host, who died in 2011 aged 84, had ­assaulted her in a caravan.

A CPS review found ­“officers, even if unintentionally, dissuaded her from ­pursuing her allegation” and gave inaccurate information.

We requested a copy of ­Sussex Police’s full review ­under the Freedom of Information Act.

In refusing our request, the force said “when it is safe to do so, there will be ­information provided”.

We have appealed on public interest grounds.

 

by Jonathan Corke